2010 Grand Cherokee brake issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 2010 Grand Cherokee brake issue

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 06-27-2013, 08:17 AM   #1
edobrowansky

2010 Grand Cherokee brake issue

Good Morning.

Yesterday I installed new brakes on my '10 Grand Cherokee. I purchased the full rotors/pads front and rear Mopar kits from a local dealer. Other than dealing with the springs for the rear emergency brake shoes, things went fairly smoothly. However, I now have a major issue.

When braking while moving at highway speeds, the brakes feel nice and smooth, no pulling, etc.... However, when I come to a complete stop, or a rolling stop at around 5-10mph, I hear a clunking sound, like a "thump thump thump" . It seems to get louder the slower I go. And the harder I press the brake pedal. However, I can drive in reverse and never hear the sound. Only in a forward direction. So I pulled the wheels, looked over the brakes once again, and do not see anything that looks out of the ordinary.

Warped rotor? Or a bad pad? Otherwise, the breaking seems too smooth to be a bad rotor. I've experienced bad rotors in the past, and this does not feel anything like it. Maybe a pad is not sitting right in the caliper on the inner side of the rotor?

Is there a remote possibility it could be the rear brakes? Maybe something with the parking/emergency brake is not quite right? I did have one minor issue with the rear driver side parking brake engaging lever where the cable attaches from the rear. The lever assembly that sits between the upper and lower shoes and on the opposite side of the adjuster, where the cable hooks onto, popped off during the disassembly process. I think I put it back in correctly, but it was a pita. Is there some sort of diagram on the web that shows the rear brake assembly and the correct installation of the parking brake hardware?

Thanks
Eric

My next step I would think

edobrowansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 02:38 PM   #2
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I just went through a similar issue with my '01 WJ. I would get this 'noise and low brakes going forward and stopping. BUT the brakes worked fine in reverse. I found one brake pad that was detached from its backing plate. When moving forward it would drop out of place but in reverse it would slide back into its proper position.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 09:31 AM   #3
edobrowansky

Laybackman,

Was that a repeating click sound as you came to a stop, or just one click when the pad settled into the forward position?

I am getting a repetitive click sound, almost like one click per tire revolution. Yesterday I pulled all four wheels, inspected the pads, rotors, and calipers. About the only thing I can see is that the one rear passenger side inner pad - the outside end "ears" that sit on the snap-on clips of the caliper assembly - it looks like there is about a 1/16-1/8" gap where the pad could move up or down, whereas all the other pads look to be quite snug. Could that little amount of play be allowing the pad to move? If so, I would think the click would only be heard once in either forward or reverse from inertia pushing it one way or another.

The only thing I can think of at this point is that maybe I have a rotor that is not right, and there is a high spot that is causing the caliper or pads to move every rotation.

Eric
edobrowansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 12:22 PM   #4
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by edobrowansky View Post
Laybackman,

Was that a repeating click sound as you came to a stop, or just one click when the pad settled into the forward position?

I am getting a repetitive click sound, almost like one click per tire revolution. Yesterday I pulled all four wheels, inspected the pads, rotors, and calipers. About the only thing I can see is that the one rear passenger side inner pad - the outside end "ears" that sit on the snap-on clips of the caliper assembly - it looks like there is about a 1/16-1/8" gap where the pad could move up or down, whereas all the other pads look to be quite snug. Could that little amount of play be allowing the pad to move? If so, I would think the click would only be heard once in either forward or reverse from inertia pushing it one way or another.

The only thing I can think of at this point is that maybe I have a rotor that is not right, and there is a high spot that is causing the caliper or pads to move every rotation.

Eric
Repetitive like a machinegun for my friends rear brake shoe issue.

My front brake problem made no noise that I could hear but the brakes dropped real low going forward but worked fine when backing up.

IF you have one click per rotation I would check the low brake pad thingy that scrapes when your pads get thin maybe it needs some adjustment OR you have a cracked pad or rotor.
Once you hit your brakes no pad can move UNLESS the caliper isn't closing enough. Then you might get some pull to the opposite side of that caliper.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.