2007 Compass won't start.. Fuel pump or no? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 2007 Compass won't start.. Fuel pump or no?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-31-2013, 09:48 AM   #1
RuffRhyno

2007 Compass won't start.. Fuel pump or no?

My girl has a 2007 Jeep Compass. The other morning we tried starting it and it would only crank, it wouldn't fire up. So I spent all day trying to figure out the problem. Checked the plugs, air filter, fuses, no issues. I disconnected the fuel line and cranked the engine, interestingly there was no fuel being delivered through the line. I checked for any codes, nothing showed up on my scanner.

I found previous threads of people reporting the PCM goes bad. Or the crank sensor. This is where it gets weird. I tried one last time to give the fuel tank a couple decent kicks underneath, than I sprayed starter fluid into the intake tubing while someone tried the ignition again. This time it started up and ran fine. For a few days.

Fast forward a week and the same issue this morning. Car would crank but not fire. This time, starter fluid was able to start the motor but not keep it running. I just ordered a fuel pump, but I would hate to waste $$ on a part that won't solve the issue. Anyone have suggestions?

RuffRhyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 07:12 PM   #2
Pitbull330
1997 ZJ 

Is the fuel pump priming. Sounds like the fuel pump is going to me. U said urself no fuel was coming out of the line when u disconnected it. If it was the crank sensor the fuel pump would still prime up, and eventually start.
Pitbull330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 08:30 PM   #3
RuffRhyno

From what I can tell yes, it's priming. It's kinda hard to hear though while the stupid ( and very noisy) Nav system/head unit boots up too. I guess there's no way around it, I gotta change the pump. It seems coincidental to me that the pump won't work during a cold start. Wonder why it hasn't died on us while the car has been running and it's under load?
Unread 03-31-2013, 08:42 PM   #4
1987_yj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Pumps are electric motors. Motors sometimes just go with little to no warning. It has been my experience in the past that the fuel pump always goes out right after you fill the tank Then you find yourself syphoning it out in order to "lighten the load". Sounds like the pump went to me bro simple as that. Best of luck. Check YouTube for a "how to" video.
1987_yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 04:22 AM   #5
RuffRhyno

I changed the pump yesterday. So far so good. We will see how it goes.
Unread 04-04-2013, 05:47 AM   #6
Pitbull330
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuffRhyno View Post
I changed the pump yesterday. So far so good. We will see how it goes.
Good luck. How did it go for u
Pitbull330 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.