2006 LJ - transmission meltdown, what to do ?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 2006 LJ - transmission meltdown, what to do ??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 05-11-2014, 04:25 PM   #1
dirtycruiser

2005 LJ Wrangler 

2006 LJ - transmission meltdown, what to do ??

Ok my buddy was pulling his boat to the ramp , about 26 miles, tryin to take it easy, not going fast, but I guess all the starting at red lights and stop signs did him in. so now it's time to fix or replace it. What's the best, strongest, best bang for your buck but will withstand off-roading and pulling the boat to the ramp.
A: get an OEM from the dealer
B: buy a rebuilt from a trans shop
C: just take it to a trans shop and let them have their way with it
D: go junkyard shopping for a used one
E: buy a rebuild kit and try to do it ourselves
F: upgrade to a bullet proof unit which would be ?
G: other ( and what would that be ? )

What kind of cost can we get ready to see ?
Thanks for helping, TJ. Aka- Black Booty

dirtycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2014, 04:48 PM   #2
dirtycruiser

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Capt. Black and his Red Booty ship with sister next to us.

........and this is why we were towing a big boat with the LJ.
dirtycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2014, 09:10 PM   #3
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Mine had similar issues after haulin a 1600 +/- trailer from Florida to Arizona. After all the research I narrowed it down to either a reman from Jasper Engines or a rebuild. Finally decided on a rebuild which included a Transgo shift kit, new TC, and kevlar clutches. Cost me $2200 and was worth every penny. The dealer unit will be stock and cost more plus install and a junkyard unit is pot luck.

Edit:

If he's gonna pull heavy things invest in an external cooler, too. I put the Derale unit in. It was also worth every penny. The 42RLE does not tolerate heat at all.

Also, turn OD off when pullin that boat, too.

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.