2006 Liberty 3.7L Oil Recommendations - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 11-21-2006, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
kc2aqg

2006 Liberty 3.7L Oil Recommendations

Hi All-

First post and first jeep. Bought an '06 Liberty Limited 3.7L 4X4 last month and am coming up on the 1500 mile mark. A few questions regarding oil changes and other Mx:

How long is it reccomended to leave the original oil put in the engine from the factory in? I know there's all sorts of additives etc. in there, so I don't want to remove it too soon.

I am considering switching over to synthetic oil, but again, I don't want to do it too soon or wait too long. When is a good time to switch it over, after how much break-in? Also, I've read some concerns regarding iron build-up using Mobil1 on other engines, does anyone have experience with the Mobil1 on the 3.7L?

I'm not exactly sure what grade oil is in the vehicle from factory (I'm assuming I can look that up in the manual), but what grade is preferred? Living in NY, we rarely see temps below 20 degrees F. I am told by a reliable mechanic friend who works with the Liberty routinely that 5W-20 is good for winter, but what do you all reccomend?

Any other reccomendations such as oil filter brands/types are definitely appreciated. Also, I've heard rumors about special procedures regarding tire rotation and/or replacement on a 4X4 drivetrain. Is there anything special I have to know regarding this? I figure at around 3K miles, I will want to rotate tires, but I haven't had any experience with a 4X4 before. Thanks for all input!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-27-2007, 04:12 PM
65thkj
2008 JK Wrangler 

Not sure about the initial oil change. I would at least change it at 3000miles. maybe 2000 since its the first change and there could be slight metal particulates.

I use 5W30 which is recommended for my '06 KJ and I don't think it has changed to 5w20. 5w20 is a little thinner and may not lubricate the engine as well but you'll get a very slight increase in mpg. It was recommended for a little while for Honda's and Fords to help increase their gas mileage but I think they stopped using it a few years ago because it doesn't protect as well.

I personally don't use synthetic oil. Instead I use Castrol GTX which is a good Dino Oil and is ~$10 for a 5 quart jug at walmart. I always change my oil at 3k miles or less so I figure Dino oil is fine since I'm changing pretty frequently. I don;t like running the same filter for more than 3k miles and it would cost a lot more for synthetic. This is just my opinion many others swear by the synthetic stuff.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-01-2007, 06:44 PM
HiMiles91XJ

Run 5W30 in the winter, and 10W30 in the summer. In my GTP I run M1, but that's because I race it and it sees over 6k RPM's pretty often, the rod bearings are the weakest link when it comes to KR, so I need them protected. My other vehicles get Castrol Syntec blend, costs $15 for a 5qt. jug at walmart.

Oh, and STAY AWAY from FRAM OIL FILTERS! Purolator makes a good filter, or if you want to be cheap, get the Super Tech filters at walmart, they're not bad (much better than fram). I use purolator and delco filters on my vehicles.

'07 Yamaha Virago
'80 Yamaha XS1100G
'86 Ford Turbocoupe: T5, T3, 18 psi, daily driver: FOR SALE-Contact me if interested

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.