2006 Liberty 2.8l CRD major issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 2006 Liberty 2.8l CRD major issues

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 03-31-2013, 07:20 PM   #1
edpszczolkowski

2006 Liberty 2.8l CRD major issues

My diesel Liberty (straight 4 cylinder) has a misfire on cylinder #1. There was a code set for injector #1 as well amongst other miscellaneous DTC's like low turbo boost pressure and some electronic malfunction (lost the paper with all the codes and can't rescan at this point). I am now completely rebuilding the engine and have found heavy heavy HEAVY black gunk and fouling inside the intake manifold and atop the first piston. Had all four injectors tested and are all fine. When it would run it would pour out black smoke, had no power or acceleration and probably would use a full tank of gas in 30 minutes of idling. The timing belt had slipped maybe four or five teeth and a few of the lifters and rocker arms on the exhaust side had broken. It all happened whilst cruising down the highway. It just suddenly dropped a cylinder and codes were set. Any ideas as to what might cause all this?

edpszczolkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
jamesdart
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

check out lost there are a few knowledgeable guys with the crd there
jamesdart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 12:02 AM   #3
TDIJeep

I suggest you look in a Forum based on diesel engines. like TDIclub.com. there is a section for the CRD. these ones tend to be pretty dead for info, but im a diesel lover so. ill try and help.

In diesels, the oil vapour from the PCV and the exhaust soot being recirculated combine to make the tar you refer to. or at least it is on VW diesels.

Does your EGR valve feed the intake manifold closer to the first cylinder?
TDIJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 11:55 AM   #4
edpszczolkowski

No its fed in right between cylinder #2 and #3. I was actually looking to remove the EGR altogether. I've seen some kits for other vehicles. I know I won't pass emissions then but that's not a problem.
Unread 04-02-2013, 01:30 PM   #5
TDIJeep

if you want to remove the EGR system a kit is not necessary just spawned from laziness. if you unbolt the egr cooler from the mani fold you can trace the gasket out and cut a plate to fit. i would use 3/16 or 1/4. You should make one for the exhaust system and another for the intake manifold. if you contact one of the vw diesel companies to make one they will just they will want to see that enough people will buy it.

Did you look at tdiclub?
TDIJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 11:04 AM   #6
edpszczolkowski

I didn't even think to just put a plate in there with the gasket. I loomed a bit on the TDI forum and it seems like it's geared mainly toward VW stuff. Maybe I'm mistaken but thanks any way

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.