2005 liberty - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 2005 liberty

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 04-14-2012, 12:23 PM   #1
dansmith

My liberty after running for awhile in heavy traffic or slow moving traffic. The engine seems to get hot,if you stop somewhere and shut down the engine for a short time,it will not restart. It needs to cool of before it will start,sometimes almost a hour. I have checked the coolant levels and thermostat and water pump not leaking and operate properly. Any other ideas,please help.

Last edited by dansmith; 04-15-2012 at 09:15 AM..
dansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #2
benmar2000
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ok.. First off, you need to learn how to write better sentence structure. But if i am reading it correctly, your KJ will shut down after it has run for a while due to overheating.

First, check your coolant level.
Second, check to make sure your thermostat is working properly. It might be shut closed and causing your engine to over heat.
Third, check your water pump. Make sure there aren't any leaks coming from it. Like from the weep hole indicating that the water pump has gone bad and it isn't circulating water like it should.
Forth, check your fan. Is your fan mechanical or electric. See if the fan is turning if it is mechanical while the engine is running. If it is electrical, make sure it kicks on when the engine gets up to temp.
Fifth, check your radiator for mud. But this only applies if you have taken your KJ off road and been mudding.

Also, fill out your profile more. The 2005 KJ came with 2 different engines, the 2.8L diesel, and the 3.7L gas..
benmar2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.