2005 Grand Cherokee won't start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 2005 Grand Cherokee won't start

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 07-21-2010, 05:56 PM   #1
Rhenne0
2005 XJ Cherokee 

2005 Grand Cherokee won't start

I have a 2005 Grand Cherokee, 5.7 that won’t start. The battery has tested good, wire leads has been cleaned and checked for tightness and all lights, radio, horn, etc. work fine. I hear one lick when I turn the key, which sounds like it is coming from a relay switch near the battery. Have not had any problems with the starter in the past and no clicking sound that you would normally hear when the starter goes out. I have also tried turning the key and shift to different gears, but still won’t start

Any advice you can give me would be appreciated.

Rhenne0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 06:15 PM   #2
BulldogTJ98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Hit the sh*t out of the starter with a hammer and try it.

[SIZE="2"][B][COLOR="Orange"]'98 TJ 4.0L, AX-15 5spd, NP231, RE 4.5 rear, 3"&.75" BB front, JKS discos, 33x12.50 KM2s on Rock Crawlers, 3.73s, Dana30 front, Dana 44 rear, JB Conversions SS SYE, JKS HD Tierod, Warn 8274 Winch, Front Stinger and Rear stinger w/ tire carrier, Rokmen Corners, Aluminum Radiator, LED tailights, Rock Lights, KCs, K&N airfilter, Optima Redtop, Cobra CB and a Sony soundbar[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
BulldogTJ98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 06:34 PM   #3
ajmorell

Sounds like the starter to me.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 07:13 PM   #4
BulldogTJ98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Have somebody check your batterie's cranking amps of the starter ends up being good. You can have 12+ volts and no amps and its like having a dead battery. Good luck

[SIZE="2"][B][COLOR="Orange"]'98 TJ 4.0L, AX-15 5spd, NP231, RE 4.5 rear, 3"&.75" BB front, JKS discos, 33x12.50 KM2s on Rock Crawlers, 3.73s, Dana30 front, Dana 44 rear, JB Conversions SS SYE, JKS HD Tierod, Warn 8274 Winch, Front Stinger and Rear stinger w/ tire carrier, Rokmen Corners, Aluminum Radiator, LED tailights, Rock Lights, KCs, K&N airfilter, Optima Redtop, Cobra CB and a Sony soundbar[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
BulldogTJ98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2010, 10:21 PM   #5
cad70
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Cherokee won't start

Have you figured it out yet? I have the same thing happening on my 2005 4.7. It started fine after an overnight wait then did it again tonight after working for two days. I swapped the relay but still no luck.
cad70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2011, 09:36 AM   #6
Slartibartfast
2007 WK 

had what sounds like the same thing happen to my 2007. all electrics OK but turning the key to the "start" position, nothing happened. liked most to do it during short trips, pickup son from school, goto the supermarket for milk, etc. they replaced the battery, tested the starter 9 ways to Sunday. ultimately a creative dealer replaced my key because the sim card in the fob was not authenticating itself with the Jeep, so the Jeep would disable the starter. the computer recorded what he termed as a "key fault" code. might be fooie, might not, either way not a problem since.
Slartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2012, 02:07 PM   #7
nduro

Curious if there is any follow-up on this.

I have the same vehicle, 2005 Grand Cherokee with the 5.7 Hemi.

Drove a lot yesterday and had no problems. This afternoon I go out and the key fob will not unlock the doors. It attempts to but the door locks only seem to move half way.

After getting in I put the key in and turn it and all I get is a spinning/clicking sound coming from the engine compartment.

The strange thing is that all of the dash lights come on, the power seats work and move. However, the overhead lights do NOT come on and I also noticed the fuel gauge was not moving either. It seems like some electrics are working and some are not.

The dash gave me the 'check electric brakes' and 'check 4wd system' errors.

We did get some decent rain last night and a lot of wind and it was outside all night, but I can't imagine that is related.

It's an '05 with 72,000 miles on it.

I seem to be having lots of problems with this thing. Been dealing with front-end noises that the dealer can't find as well.

Anyone want to buy a nice '05 that may or may not start?

Would love to hear any suggestions anyone might have.

Thanks.
nduro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2012, 04:51 PM   #8
nduro

Follow-up on mine. My problem turned out to be the battery. Managed to jump it and get it to auto zone where I had a new battery put in.

However, now there is a new problem: the bright lights are on all the time now. Even when the truck is turned off. The horn just starts to randomly beep and won't stop. The directional lights no longer function.

All of this just from replacing the battery?

Am I missing something? Help! Please!
Unread 02-26-2012, 09:58 AM   #9
nduro

Another follow-up for those who stumble across this thread from a search.

After having the issues I had yesterday after installing the new battery I unhooked the negative terminal and let it set overnight.

Hooked everything back up this morning and all seems fine. My guess is there was something in there still holding a charge that was causing problems. I had read elsewhere that leaving it unhook for 10 minutes was plenty to do the job. I didn't need to go anywhere so I just left it overnight.

Might be helpful for others who run in to a similar problem.
Unread 03-03-2012, 09:11 AM   #10
Slartibartfast
2007 WK 

2007 WK Laredo, the vehicle I decided would benchmark my working hard & coming into my own.

after intermittent starting issues (4 weeks, then 2 weeks, then 3 days, then next day sort of thing) i heard from so many WK owners, i went to (3) different Jeep Dealers, (2) Jeep Factory Indecent reports with the same issue, and finally a private garage. After a screaming match with my Jeep Case handler the best course of action was going to be to trade in my Jeep and buy a Subaru.

While pre-reading my future vehicle's owner's manual (roll your eyes, call me Geek) they have an excellent trouble shooting guide, one section dedicated to intermittent starting issues that deal with an excess of metal (key-chains, fobs, other keys) touching the starting ring around the ignition creating a "key fault". it made sense, the Dealers wouldn't have an issue because i only have them the Jeep fob. further, it would be fine for a couple of weeks after because they would disconnect the battery overnight for diagnostics. turns out, i had an issue because i use (4) split rings, a nylon strap and a big caribeaner.

(6)months with just the key, then (6)months with a non metallic key-ring (
), i can say it's been a full year without an indecent. I get the keep my Jeep.
Slartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2014, 11:42 PM   #11
kevin1983

05 jeep grand cherokee 4.7

if anyone has problem with jeep not starting just turning over than try putting new tps mine went out and give me all kinds of problums I almost put new computer cus all kinds **** was on moter light track controle desabaled brakes light on running like **** would not shift out of first gear all crazy all because of tps so hope this helps others
kevin1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
no start , will not crank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.