Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

2004 jeep liberty running rough help

26K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  JaysonD 
#1 ·
I have a 2004 jeep liberty on a trip out of town today the check engine light came on and started flashing. It is really running rough going down the road. The owners manual said possible problem with my catalytic converter. My question will it hurt to drive it? I will be on the interstate on the trip back home but it is about 300 miles. Thanks for any help.

#2 ·
More info I went to auto zone and they said it was the mass flow sensor. Of course they don’t stock one. After calling a few auto parts stores none of them stock them and some told me they can't get it. I purchased some cleaner and it didn't help the problem. Thanks for any help.

#4 ·
Ok umm the libertys don't have a Mass Air Flow sensor. They have a Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor. Also if the Check Engine Light is flashing, that means it can and will cause damage to the Cats. Do you have the Code number they pulled? That would help. I have seen broken valve springs and carbon on the valves causing running issues also many crankshaft postions sensors. Get the code number and post it. We can get you the help you need.

#6 ·
I went back and ask if it was ok to drive. Auto Zone said yes it would just burn more gas. After I disconnected the battery cables it cleared the codes. I drove it home and took it to the mechanic yesterday. Well I wish I would have read your post before I drove it both catalytic converters need to be replaced to start with and you are right they are not cheap. Before I took it to my machanic called the dealership and they told me there was no mass flow sensor.

#7 ·
Call that AutoZone back and talk to a manager! The person you spoke to shouldn't be working there if he/or she does not know what they are talking about. And they (in my mind) owe you a Catalytic Converter! Its one piece system. I work at a Jeep dealership and I know most of the in's and out's of chrysler vehicles. Sorry I wasn't faster in responding.

#8 ·
How many miles on your KJ?

The cats have a mandatory 8 year/80,000mile warranty on those cats.As long as they are not damaged via offroading or a accident they must replace them for free at a dealership.

#10 ·
I work on these things all the time and they are notorious for head problems....You need to take it to a shop and make sure that the motor did not completely sludge up....Like RubiconBlack had said they have a lot of carbon build up problems and it will make the valves stick and cause the rockers to pop out...They also like to sludge like my first comment and it will also cause the same thing and the only real fix is to replace the engine when that happens...but they heads can be fixed if the oil system is ok.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.