2003 Liberty makes humming noise and vibration during deceleration - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 2003 Liberty makes humming noise and vibration during deceleration

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 10-24-2013, 09:48 AM   #1
bhawkins1978
2003 KJ Liberty 

2003 Liberty makes humming noise and vibration during deceleration

I have a concern regarding the noise being generated when i decelerate. The car runs perfectly fine if i keep it at low speeds like when I drive around the neighborhood. When I manage to get it up to about 30+ MPH, when i let off the gas, I can hear a faint humming sound. When i put my foot back on the gas, the humming goes away. As I decelerate, the humming becomes a bit more noticable, and if i break, it becomes very noticable, and i can feel a slight vibration in the petal and in the floor when it gets down to about 10 MPH to when it stops. I rarely get to real highway speeds, but i'm pretty sure the last time I did, I heard the same faint humming while driving at a constant speed of 65-70 MPH. Though, like I said, none of it happens if i keep the car at slow speeds, so I'm pretty confident it doesnt have to do with the brakes or wheels.

Recently (3 weeks ago), I had the transmission fluid changed, and found that it was about a half qt low in fluid, which i've since added. I've read that it might be the u-joints on the driveshaft, but if it was them, wouldnt the vibration occur during acceleration as well, or at least every time the car was decelerating?

Can anyone relate to this problem, or have any recomendations of what might be the cause?

bhawkins1978 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2013, 12:36 AM   #2
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Could be the upper control arm bushings are bad, causing the driveline angle to be off when you decelerate.

-Chris LeDoux

I never could figure what the sky was thinking, but the soil, she don't keep too many secrets.
LJameson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2013, 01:07 AM   #3
JohnCrabtree
1994 ZJ 

Could be a tire imbalance. A Radial Imbalance will be evident at low speeds also, however, a dynamic imbalance may only be evident at high speeds.

Bent driveshaft or a weight fell off of the driveshaft. That would be noticable when accelerating also, however, your engine may be making too much noise for you to hear it.
JohnCrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #4
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The reason it hums is it doesnt know the words.

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2013, 12:42 AM   #5
Evildriver-3
1995 ZJ 

Check your rzeppa at the front shaft

Less than 8 is like playing with half a deck
]=Supershafts=[
Long Island Motorsports Association
Evildriver-3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
driveshaft , noise , transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.