2002 short box rebuild questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 2002 short box rebuild questions

August special - FREE XJ Unibody stiffeners when you buy a~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!

Unread 11-27-2007, 11:38 PM   #1
aber16
2002 KJ Liberty 

2002 short box rebuild questions

Hi, the liberty I bought with 56000Km ended up having piston slap and under warranty the dealer replaced the entire short box. Before the rebuild I was getting approximately 100km on 16L in the city, but since the rebuild it has nosedived to 21L. I know that fuel economy usually is bad following a rebuild until the engine gets worn in but i have since put on 5000 km.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I know jeeps aren't great on fuel, but I really think this is outside the normal limits. Also, I have to drive very carefully to squeeze that fuel economy out - no speedy accelerations, speeding, etc.

At first i thought it could be tires - I do have an aggressive BFGoodrich all terrain tire on. Do tires make that much difference, most people say no. Besides, same tires before the rebuild and resulting decrease in fuel economy. HELP, PLEASE!

aber16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2007, 02:15 AM   #2
Trouble Maker

1993 ZJ 

The term is "short block" not short box, meaning basically the engine block, crank and pistons.

Metric sucks! Not sure why your mileage dropped from 15 mpg US to 11 mpg US though.

93 ZJ Stolen and wrecked Mar29/08
Trouble Maker is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.