2002 Overland Grinding Noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 2002 Overland Grinding Noise

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-27-2012, 12:36 AM   #1
Cmor5

2002 Overland Grinding Noise

I have searched and read for hours before i decided to post but i am hoping maybe a couple people will be up for discussion. So I bought a 2002 GC Overland 4.7 HO with quadra drive and tow package last week. I notice there is a grinding noise come from the rearend which at first sounded like rusty brakes after a car sat for a while but the noise didnt go away. The noise is constant after 5-10 mph. And the scrapping/ grinding pattern increase as the speed of the vehicle increases. Foot on gas or not

After a while i thought the axle bearings were bad but the sound is too metal on metal, not a low pitch hum like the axle bearing plus I called the previous owner who said all 4 axle/wheel bearings were replaced less than 1 year ago. Then I thought it was ebrake because it was making a grinding noise when i manually rotated the wheels. Pulled rotor, cleaned and adjusted, didnt help. Checked rear diff fluid and there are metallic flakes in the oil. Maybe from a bad axle bearing that had been replaced (I noticed dry bearing grease on the inside of the rim) or worn diff. I also get the commom grinding noise while turning when no FM is used. Can bad diff oil or lack of FM create this much grinding noise? Could it be u-joints? Hayes manual states for troubleshooting that a constant grinding coming from the drivetrain would be a u-joint. I have moved the driveshaft and see no play but the u-joints look rusty.

Tomorrow i plan to change the diff fluid and see if that helps. Not 100% sold on the u-joints just because i know nothing about them and what to look for. Also i noticed a little end play on the rear axles earlier. Not up/down or left/right but in/out. I am convinced almost to a fault that this noise is coming from the rearend. So i havent even looked at the transfer case or front end.

Any help or direction would be appreciated, i would hate to take it to someone not having an idea of what is going on.

Cmor5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.