2002 KJ 3.7L Engine Rebuild - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 2002 KJ 3.7L Engine Rebuild

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 03-25-2013, 10:13 AM   #1
dhole
2002 KJ Liberty 

I am the lucky recipient of a dropped valve seat. Since I am having to replace the heads and pistons I figured I will go the extra step and do a complete rebuild. This is the first time I have messed with the 3.7L engine. Are there gotchas I should be aware of prior to going forward with my endeavors? Any help would be appreciated.

image-2489030489.jpg   image-300109438.jpg  
dhole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2013, 03:05 PM   #2
headlayoutman1
2002 KJ Liberty 

I have repaired the exact same failure on three 02'-03' Libertys that I have worked on in the past 10 months , this is pretty common failure on early 3.7s. #2 cylinder intake valve seat drops out of the head and holds the valve open , piston hits valve and destroys head , piston , or piston & cylinder wall . , I have been lucky on two of the repairs , no damage to the piston or cylinder walls , just had to replace two cylinder heads , got rebuilt heads from Odessa Cylinder Heads in Florida , both ran like new . On the I other had to pull the engine and replace or completely rebuild the engine , due to the #2 piston scoring cylinder wall after the valve seat and valve contacted the piston .
From the looks of your picks you will probably have a scored cylinder wall , but it might not be trashed and you might be able to hone that cylinder , and get buy with one new piston and ring set , a rebuilt head , and a gasket set .
headlayoutman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
dhole
2002 KJ Liberty 

I pulled the other head and some of the pieces must have traveled through the intake manifold because there is damage on two other pistons and the head. The cylinder walls weren't that bad. They are getting bored out. With that and the pistons being changed would you suggest getting the motor rebalanced?
Unread 03-27-2013, 05:18 PM   #4
headlayoutman1
2002 KJ Liberty 

Should not have to , if you are going to hang your connecting rods on new pistons and make sure that each rod goes back to its original cylinder . If your using a set of quality pistons & rings , check your ring end gap in each cylinder and make any corrections before installing the rings onto the pistons . I have replaced pistons without balancing and not had any problems . The thing to do is , - if your reusing your standard size crankshaft with new main bearings , make sure to use MOPAR main bearings , since the main bearings are "select fit" to the crankshaft , there is a four digit letter code on the rear side of the crankshaft tone wheel ( on one of the teeth ) each letter corresponds to each main bearing journal size , the code is read left to right and indicates mains 1 thru 4 ( 4 being the rear journal ) Have your crank polished and checked for straightness , and then check your main bearing clearances with plasti-gauge . If you decide to have your crank reground to nearest undersize you can get the appropriate generic brand main bearing set for your cranks new size .
If you use a standard size generic brand main bearing set on your standard size polished crank you may have clearance issues or low oil pressure , because they may not be matched to your "select fit" journal size(s) .
Rod bearings you can go either way just match your cranks size with a bearing set of your choice
Unread 03-27-2013, 05:30 PM   #5
dhole
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by headlayoutman1
Should not have to , if you are going to hang your connecting rods on new pistons and make sure that each rod goes back to its original cylinder . If your using a set of quality pistons & rings , check your ring end gap in each cylinder and make any corrections before installing the rings onto the pistons . I have replaced pistons without balancing and not had any problems . The thing to do is , - if your reusing your standard size crankshaft with new main bearings , make sure to use MOPAR main bearings , since the main bearings are "select fit" to the crankshaft , there is a four digit letter code on the rear side of the crankshaft tone wheel ( on one of the teeth ) each letter corresponds to each main bearing journal size , the code is read left to right and indicates mains 1 thru 4 ( 4 being the rear journal ) Have your crank polished and checked for straightness , and then check your main bearing clearances with plasti-gauge . If you decide to have your crank reground to nearest undersize you can get the appropriate generic brand main bearing set for your cranks new size .
If you use a standard size generic brand main bearing set on your standard size polished crank you may have clearance issues or low oil pressure , because they may not be matched to your "select fit" journal size(s) .
Rod bearings you can go either way just match your cranks size with a bearing set of your choice
Thanks that helps a lot.
Unread 03-27-2013, 05:35 PM   #6
headlayoutman1
2002 KJ Liberty 

Also get new connecting rod cap bolts . Don't reuse your rod cap bolts , they are "torque to yield" and should not be reused on final assembly .
But you may reuse your old bolts only to check your rod bearing clearances with plasti-gauge , Then install your new bolts on each rod and torque to spec. after it has been checked. Then move on to the next rod and repeat

Tags
3.7l , liberty , rebuild , valve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.