2001 WJ misfiring randomly - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 2001 WJ misfiring randomly

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 10-15-2012, 01:11 AM   #1
CJs95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

2001 WJ misfiring randomly

I have a 2001 WJ, 6 cyl, select trac, 4x4, that I bought used a few years back. Recently I have been getting a check engine on the regular. The one code I expect every time I see the light is "clutch torque converter solenoid circuit" (I don't recall the error code)... I can't get any answers as to what the heck that is about. Honestly I have no idea what that part is or does.

The second code I get is less often and occurs when the engine starts running rough. It is a misfire, or several misfires. I have replaced the coil 3 times (two of those times professionally), replaced the spark plugs, and had the computer software upgraded by the Jeep dealership. The dealer's mech told me that it was randomly misfiring in sequences. One test would return misses on 2, 4, and 6 then the next test would return with misses on 1, 4, and 6 then yet another test would give misses on 1, 3, and 4. It was never the same cylinders missing, but always multiple. It was fine when we left the dealer (we thought it was fixed after the upgraded software), but It still does it every once in a while. Most recently I went on a road trip from San Diego to Sacramento to Salt Lake City and back to Sacramento. Almost 2000 miles in a week. Less than an hour away from Sacramento on the return trip, the engine started running very rough, shaking, and the check engine light began blinking without stop. We pulled off, I popped the hood to find no obvious issues, checked fluids, then turned off the engine.... Waited a minute.... Turned it back on and bam, no more problems and the light stopped blinking, though it was still on. We made it the rest of the way to Sacramento without an issue.

When I got back into my driveway in Sac, I checked for codes and I got several:
P0300 "random/ multiple misfire"
P0301 "misfire cyl 1"
P0302 "mis cyl 2"
P0303 "mis cyl 3"
P0304 "mis cyl 4"
P0305 "mis cyl 5"
And P0740 "clutch torque converter solenoid circuit" (I don't know if this is the number I had been getting in the past. I know there are a couple different codes of the same description for this model.)

I am at the extent of my knowledge/ideas and I have no faith in dealer mechs, nor the money to pay for them.

So now I go to JF... Any thoughts?

Green 95 YJ, A.K.A "Marvin The Martian" or "the Piss Wagon"

|¯| ,[____],
l---L-([]lllll[])-
() ) () )-o-() )
CJs95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.