2001 WJ limited, another 4.7 Knocking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 2001 WJ limited, another 4.7 Knocking

LOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!

Unread 10-25-2012, 08:25 AM   #1
Fast_SUV
1997 TJ Wrangler 

2001 WJ limited, another 4.7 Knocking

Hey guys,
I posted this up in the WJ forum but figured it may need to be in here....

I up a 4.7L WJ this weekend from a guy off CL.
We worked out a nice trade so I wont be in it for to much $$; so putting a little $$ in it will be O.K. for me.

He said about a year ago he heard a knock start and wasn't sure what it was, he took it off the road and didn't drive it ofter hearing that.

Any suggestions on things to look at once i get it home to narrow down if it's a rod bearing, timing chain, etc?? I have read a ton and watched a bunch of videos but their knocking seems pretty consistent...

Video of the sound:
http://youtu.be/OiV3Qajs2L0

() ) () )-o-() )

J+(2xE)+p=Bada$$
Fast_SUV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2012, 11:25 PM   #2
reztech
1995 YJ Wrangler 

rod knock

thats definately sounds like a rod knock. drain the oil if it looks metallic its time for a engine swap. the last used swap i did i paid 1100.00 usd for used engine with 120,000. mitchell labor guide calls for about 10 hrs labor. back yard mechanic is gonna spend 2-3 days.
reztech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2012, 07:19 AM   #3
Fast_SUV
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by reztech View Post
thats definately sounds like a rod knock. drain the oil if it looks metallic its time for a engine swap. the last used swap i did i paid 1100.00 usd for used engine with 120,000. mitchell labor guide calls for about 10 hrs labor. back yard mechanic is gonna spend 2-3 days.
If there is no metal, or very little would it be worth trying to swap out just the rod bearings to see if it fixeds the issue? At 6-7 buck each plus the new bolts the swap of new bearings doesnt seem to bad (just drop the pan....)
() ) () )-o-() )

J+(2xE)+p=Bada$$
Unread 10-26-2012, 11:35 AM   #4
reztech
1995 YJ Wrangler 

rod knock

a rod knock that loud would have definately damaged the crank journal. i never recommend tryin to replace bearings only. even with a under sized bearing on that journal you would have excessive bearing clearance.i have known of people who replaced bearings do to a rod knock that severe and when completed they had a slight knock. the rod bearing oil clearance standard spec is .0002-.0019 thats the clearance between the bearing and crank journal thats a really tight clearance. a crank kit would be alot of labor and would need to be done by experienced tech. thats why i recommend used engine swap if your on a budget. if your determined to go the route you said with dropping the pan then a least try to get a under sized bearing on the damaged journal thats knocking.
Unread 10-26-2012, 01:23 PM   #5
Fast_SUV
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by reztech View Post
a rod knock that loud would have definately damaged the crank journal. i never recommend tryin to replace bearings only. even with a under sized bearing on that journal you would have excessive bearing clearance.i have known of people who replaced bearings do to a rod knock that severe and when completed they had a slight knock. the rod bearing oil clearance standard spec is .0002-.0019 thats the clearance between the bearing and crank journal thats a really tight clearance. a crank kit would be alot of labor and would need to be done by experienced tech. thats why i recommend used engine swap if your on a budget. if your determined to go the route you said with dropping the pan then a least try to get a under sized bearing on the damaged journal thats knocking.

When you say "a rod knock that loud would have definately damaged the crank journal" are you meaning rod journal? so where the connecting rod connects....

Pic for reference...
() ) () )-o-() )

J+(2xE)+p=Bada$$
Unread 10-26-2012, 10:05 PM   #6
reztech
1995 YJ Wrangler 

yes i meant the rod journal. it usually wears down because its metal to metal contact. thats why its important to have the proper connecting rod bearing to rod journal clearance. engine oil pressure create a constant thin film of oil to keep the rod bearing from touching crank journal metal. u can usually determine which cylinder has the knocking rod by disconnecting the injector or coil on each cylinder one at a time while its running. that will take the load off that cylinder when you get to the cylinder with the bad rod the knock will go away or the sound will be less intense.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.