Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

2001 tj rebuilt motor won't start

744 views 10 replies 2 participants last post by  Itsnotteal 
#1 ·
I need help. When we pulled the motor, we missed the wires that run to the gas tank. Pulled some apart. We soldered them back together and everything works, back up lights, brake, fuel pump. We are confident that it's right. We are getting fuel but no spark. Replaced the crank positioning sensor, cleaned all the ground wires and strap. I set the cam sensor to what the service manual said, with a tooth pick at top dead center. We checked the cam sensor and it seems to check out. The wires from the ecm have .63 when the key is in the run position. I may have had it on the wrong setting so, it might be 6.3. Not sure. Please help.

#5 ·
Both the cam and crank sensor plugs are the same in function: with the ignition on, you should see a steady 5v supply from the orange wire, the brown & yellow wire is the sensor ground provided by the PCM, and the third wire will be the sensor signal which will alternate between 5v and 0v as the engine is rotated. Check that you have your meter on the correct setting and verify the readings of the two sensors.

#7 ·
You'd probably be better served probing the wire near the PCM connector to check for 5v power output from the PCM first, as the section of harness the wiring for those two sensors runs through does not extend any farther back than the bellhousing.

#8 ·
It starts now. One of the ground wires looked black and it was actually brown. Fixed that and now it starts and runs at about 5k rpm. I'm going to take the intake off and make sure the header [aftermarket] isn't stopping it from sealing and causing a massive vacuum leak. Thanks for the help and any more you can think of. This thing is making me loose my hair and sanity.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.