2001 cherokee knock - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 2001 cherokee knock

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-02-2012, 04:08 PM   #1
4lyj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

2001 cherokee knock

Hey i just traded my xterra for a 2001 xj. Its got 360000 kms and runs great. Oil pressure is good. When i first start it in the morning or after work theres a bad tap or knock in the motor. I cant tell if its in the crank or the valves. It doesnt get better or worse if you hit the gas, and seems to go away or get quiet after its warmed up. I have to wait until the morning to listen to it better, as its still warm now. Any ideas? Oil looks clean, but im gonna pull the valve cover and see if theres any sludge. I would sooner roll some bearings in it now before the snow hits. Any help would be great.

Also the jeep always runs about half on the temp gauge. Is this normal operating temp on these?

4lyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2012, 05:07 PM   #2
bassicsk8r
2001 XJ Cherokee 

That fact that it goes away when it warms up, makes me thing of piston slap. About 210 degrees is normal temp which should be the middle of the gauge. When you can hear the noise you can try and do a power balance test by disconnecting one injector at a time. If the noise gets louder it is piston related, if it gets quieter it is crankshaft related, no change would most likely be valve train related. This test can also point to the cylinder that has the problem.
bassicsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
4lyj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'll try that test. It seems to be there all the time now. And oil pressure drops at idle now. Makes me think its the crank more.
4lyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.