2001 4.0 cylinder head crack. best fix? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 2001 4.0 cylinder head crack. best fix?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 12-09-2011, 07:26 PM   #1
Samick
2001 TJ Wrangler 

2001 4.0 cylinder head crack. best fix?

So i got the good ol' cylinder head crack between cylinders 3-4 on my 01 4.0 wrangler. i was wondering what the best fix is to keep this from happening again. is there a after market cylinder head i can buy thats less prone to this? i thought i read that the older heads wont bolt up to the new blocks for various reasons.

any advice would be much appreciated

Samick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2011, 07:29 PM   #2
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samick View Post
So i got the good ol' cylinder head crack between cylinders 3-4 on my 01 4.0 wrangler. i was wondering what the best fix is to keep this from happening again. is there a after market cylinder head i can buy thats less prone to this? i thought i read that the older heads wont bolt up to the new blocks for various reasons.

any advice would be much appreciated
A two piece header with flex joints seam to hold up pretty well.
Molonlabemike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2011, 07:32 PM   #3
99TJSahara
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molonlabemike View Post
A two piece header with flex joints seam to hold up pretty well.
He's talking about a cylinder head, not an exhaust header.
99 Wrangler Sahara-sold
99TJSahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2011, 07:35 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

An older 0630 or 7120 head will bolt up to the block, but you will have to make exhaust manifold modifications and fabricate some sort of bracket for your spark plug rail. Search JeepForum or use the Google, these mods are discussed and detailed on many Jeep owners forums.

The best, cheapest, easiest fix is a 2003 and newer TUPY 0331 head from the junkyard. They are the revised heads that do not crack.

0331-tupy.jpg  

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2011, 08:10 PM   #5
Samick
2001 TJ Wrangler 

any idea what tupy stands for? thats exactly the kind of information i was hoping to find!!!

i see the picture, but where does it say it? between ALL of the rocker arms? if i told a guy at the jeep parts desk i need a tupy 0331, would he know what i'm talking about?
Unread 12-10-2011, 02:31 PM   #6
Samick
2001 TJ Wrangler 

bump. would like some more input on this.
Unread 12-10-2011, 03:01 PM   #7
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
... if i told a guy at the jeep parts desk i need a TUPY 0331, would he know what i'm talking about?
Probably not. Just tell them you have an 04 TJ and inspect the head for TUPY before you buy it. Any 2002 or 2003 and newer 4.0L head that fits your engine should be TUPY. 0331 and TUPY are between the 3 and 4 cylinders.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2011, 04:25 PM   #8
gremlinsteve
2006 TJ Wrangler 

just buy the head from alabama cyl heads. revised with a thicker deck. good head.

steve
gremlinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2011, 10:28 PM   #9
herbiehind
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlinsteve View Post
just buy the head from alabama cyl heads. Revised with a thicker deck. Good head.

Steve
+1
herbiehind is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2013, 08:18 AM   #10
rmxauto

What TUPY means

Quote:
any idea what tupy stands for? thats exactly the kind of information i was hoping to find!!!

i see the picture, but where does it say it? between ALL of the rocker arms? if i told a guy at the jeep parts desk i need a tupy 0331, would he know what i'm talking about?
TUPY is the name of the foundry in Brazil or some latin american country where the revised, non-cracky 0331 casting heads are produced for Chrysler.
rmxauto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2013, 09:32 PM   #11
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Here is what I went through;

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/c...dence-1306393/

If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, I should be able to bench press a Grand Cherokee by now!
laybackman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.