2000 TJ Transmission Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 2000 TJ Transmission Problems

This is a shout out to all INTERNATIONAL Customers! Yes weEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*

Unread 05-01-2012, 07:28 PM   #1
travisd

2000 TJ Transmission Problems

Let me start off by saying I tried doing a search but I did not find exactly what Im looking for. A few weeks ago, I bought a 2000 TJ 2.5L with a bad motor. The previous owner overheated it. I found a low mile replacement '95 YJ 2.5. After sawpping everything over, the jeep runs fantastic except for one problem- the transmission. To me, it feels like the jeep is starting out in second as it is sluggish to get moving until it hits about 1800-2000 rpm. If i stomp on the gas, it starts moving slugglishly, than feels like it downshifts and takes off like a rocket. Additionally, I can manually shift it and it works as it should. The origenial owner never mentioned anything about a bad tranny and I feel like he would have. I changed the fluid and screen and it definitly helped, but its still not even close to being right. I had a mechanic hook his scanner up to it, and the scanner is reading that it is in fact starting in first but that doesnt explain the downshifting feeling when you stomp the skinny. To me, it seems that the computer recognises second as first. Did I miss something when I did the engine swap? Can anyone help? Thanks in advance!

travisd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2012, 01:43 AM   #2
Ross00TJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Would you mind filling in your profile so we can see what we are working with? What size tires, what gear ratio, suspension, etc?

Did you get the transmission with the engine? Is it the original transmission for the YJ motor (IIRC, that would be the TF904)? Are you using the PCM / TCM (if the YJ used one, can't remember if it did or not) that came with the YJ engine?

For starters, check back over your work, cross reference with the 95 YJ FSM and make sure you connected everything properly. If you don't have one go to www.jeepslimited.com, register, and then go to the downloads link and download the free FSM for the '95 YJ.

It may be possible that there is something wrong internally with the transmission, but I know little about auto trannys so I can't comment much on that.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.