2.5l Turbo or Supercharger or what? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 2.5l Turbo or Supercharger or what?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-07-2010, 07:05 PM   #1
Lamont_24
1999 TJ Wrangler 

2.5l Turbo or Supercharger or what?

I have a 99 Jeep Wrangler 4 cyl 5 speed. Its got 146,000 miles and i was wondering what would be best to do if i want more power? I am wanting to buy a truck for more power but my dad is wanting me to stay with this vehicle since we have the kinks worked out of it. My dad said he would go halfsies on a supercharger or a turbo. I've heard Avenger is the only supercharger maker and i have looked at them a few times. Any one know someone who makes turbo kits? What is something else that would give me the power i want? I feel as though i have enough power offroad, i could use a little more but what i really want is power driving around town and the highway. Thanks.

Lamont_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2010, 07:22 PM   #2
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Personally, I would opt for a 4.0 swap. Fairly simple to do, reliable, cheaper, and a good increase in power across the board.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2010, 07:45 PM   #3
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

i've got an Eaton M62 listed in the Classifieds. Its the perfect size for your 2.5L. Would require some fabrication to work, but its been done before...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f94/e...arger-1125205/

combine that with:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Adapt...Q5fAccessories
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2010, 08:21 PM   #4
Matt_G
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000 View Post
Personally, I would opt for a 4.0 swap. Fairly simple to do, reliable, cheaper, and a good increase in power across the board.
its a 4 cyl.

go turbo, built right it will be beast
Unread 11-07-2010, 09:58 PM   #5
Krochus
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_G View Post
its a 4 cyl.

built right it will still be a gutless turd just a really expensive one

Anyone remember the recent JP article where they put a $3000 turbo kit on a YJ 2.5 that also sported just about all the aftermarket goodies advertisers would give em and it STILL didn't make the power of a stock 4.0L. Not to mention you still have a glass fragile trans that you're now putting even more power through. The 2.5 will never make decent power as long as it has to breathe through the stock cyl head

The best power adder for the 2.5 comes from GM and has a part number that starts with LS

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickgnx88 View Post
"Jeep Wave threads, it's a newb thing, you wouldn't understand!"
Krochus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 05:03 AM   #6
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_G View Post
its a 4 cyl.

Turbo's need to spool up to make power. This leaves the bottom end power lacking.
If someone has lots of money, the time, skill sets and is looking to build a unique powerplant, by all means, go for it. But swapping out cams, fabbing exhausts, lowering compression etc...to upgrade a small powerplant is a lot of work when one could install a 4.0, 258, or even one of the various V8 options with better results.
While the resale value may not be what you want, many times it is better to sell the whole rig and go to a 4.0 powered Jeep. The cost difference will most likely be less than the engine mods and you would have a turn key operation.
Just my .02....
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 12:50 PM   #7
Lamont_24
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000 View Post
Turbo's need to spool up to make power. This leaves the bottom end power lacking.
If someone has lots of money, the time, skill sets and is looking to build a unique powerplant, by all means, go for it. But swapping out cams, fabbing exhausts, lowering compression etc...to upgrade a small powerplant is a lot of work when one could install a 4.0, 258, or even one of the various V8 options with better results.
While the resale value may not be what you want, many times it is better to sell the whole rig and go to a 4.0 powered Jeep. The cost difference will most likely be less than the engine mods and you would have a turn key operation.
Just my .02....
wouldnt an engine swap be expensive though? the 4.0 needs new fuel lines,tranny, everything. the whole 9 yards. and a v8 swap would be more plus the small danas would get torn up right? how much do you think the total would be for a v8 swap?
Unread 11-08-2010, 02:11 PM   #8
Speed-Freek
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I vote 4.0 swap, not really as hard as you would think, I have seen complete drivetrains for sale since some people do swaps to V8s and so fourth.
Speed-Freek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2010, 06:34 PM   #9
spark plug
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I did the ford 5.0 swap last winter for $2500 or so. If your going to do a swap why not do a V-8?
Unread 11-21-2010, 08:33 PM   #10
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I knock out TBI Chevy swaps for under a grand, plus the donor rig.
It's a relative simple swap if you grab a full donor rig, which can be had for cheap these days. A 90's S10 blazer will be the perfect candidate for a motor swap.
Cheaper and more reliable than a turbo'd 4 banger any day of the week.
A 4.0/AW4 swap is also easy enough, but you need the tranny and transfer case input gear as well as the motor itself. The fuel system on a MPI 4 banger is the same as the 4.0HO, so no worries there.
I suggest you doing a search in the relevant forum for motor swaps and decide from there.
Martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 11:33 AM   #11
Lamont_24
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftlanetruckin View Post
I knock out TBI Chevy swaps for under a grand, plus the donor rig.
It's a relative simple swap if you grab a full donor rig, which can be had for cheap these days. A 90's S10 blazer will be the perfect candidate for a motor swap.
Cheaper and more reliable than a turbo'd 4 banger any day of the week.
A 4.0/AW4 swap is also easy enough, but you need the tranny and transfer case input gear as well as the motor itself. The fuel system on a MPI 4 banger is the same as the 4.0HO, so no worries there.
I suggest you doing a search in the relevant forum for motor swaps and decide from there.
Martin
Thanks for the advice and help! I'll be sure to do that!

Tags
2.5l , power , speed , supercharger , turbo

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.