2.5l stalling and bogging with backfire - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 2.5l stalling and bogging with backfire

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-27-2012, 05:04 PM   #1
Rio_Grande
1997 TJ Wrangler 

2.5l stalling and bogging with backfire

Hello
I have a 97 tj with a 2.5 manual trans. The jeep started bogging out on me after driving a short distance. When it does if you let it idle it will run but if you try to give it gas it Boggs out and if you persist it will backfire in the exaust. If you turn it off it will restart but do the same thing but the occurrence. Will be sooner than before. What I have done since this started is. Now crank position sensor, new cam position sensor, new plugs, wires, cap and rotor. New fuel pump (shop diagnosis of problem never made it home) pulled the head new valve job, new exaust manifold. Cleaned the intake by spraying, haven't pulled all the sensors yet. Unplugged the front o2 sensor with no change. When I put it back together from the head rework, it acted like it was fixed but the other night when it was cold I started it up and it did it within a few feet of the drive. I limped around the block and it straightened up by the time I got around the block.

Any suggestions?

Unread 11-28-2012, 08:14 PM   #2
rustypig
1985 CJ7 

Sounds like it's starving for fuel to me. New filter with all that too?
rustypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2012, 06:23 PM   #3
Rio_Grande
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yes I replaced the filter in the tank when the fuel pump was changed.
Unread 11-30-2012, 03:21 PM   #4
nightcrawler1
1974 CJ5 

This may sound odd, but I had an old truck that had the same symptoms. It was my fuel cap. The cap got stopped up and would not let the tank vent properly. Try to run it with the cap off and maybe this will help.
nightcrawler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2012, 04:21 PM   #5
Rio_Grande
1997 TJ Wrangler 

We will see, at this point a 9.00 cap is a drop in the bucket!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.