2.5l to 4.0l swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 2.5l to 4.0l swap

TJ BDS 2" suspension lift!! FINALLY a GREAT 2" l50% Off Sale at KrawlOff-Road.comTactical Recovery Equipment Soft Shackles!!!

Unread 03-15-2015, 02:27 PM   #1
Paxter
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Hey everyone. I have a 99 tj with a 2.5l engine in it. It is still drive able but it's on its last leg. I have a 4.0l engine from my previous 2000 wrangler that I took out. I was wondering what needs to be done to swap the engines out.
What kind of wiring can I use from the 2.5l if any?
Do I need to change the motor mount location?
The 4.0l has A/C and I plan on just taking that out.
And since I live in California am I going to have any problems with smog?

I'm sure I have more questions but I can't think right now. Thanks guys

forumrunner_20150315_132548.jpg

forumrunner_20150315_132626.jpg  
Paxter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2015, 08:55 AM   #2
StanF
Web Wheeler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I've heard of other people having terrible issues with engine swaps in CA. I'd proceed carefully...and check with your state inspectors.
Unread 03-16-2015, 02:54 PM   #3
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Check out this thread:

2.5-4.0 swap is underway!!
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2015, 11:50 PM   #4
Paxter
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you for the replies. If worse comes to worse I will just register it in Oregon under my parents. As far as all the wiring. I was able to save everything from the 2000 wrangler for the 4.0
Paxter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.