2.5 to 4.0 Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 2.5 to 4.0 Questions

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-20-2002, 10:51 AM   #1
fred barzdis

2.5 to 4.0 Questions

i have a 95 wrangler with a 2.5 that is fairly weak. i recently aquirred a 96 cherokke with the 4.0 HO and the four speed auto. i was wondering if any of you out there have ever done this conversion and what i need to use off the old jeep . i have everything off the cheorkee and just do not know exactly how to go about it any help will be very helpfull
thank you

fred barzdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2002, 01:34 PM   #2
4wheeler4CJ

First, lemme say I don't know anything about trying that conversion, but anything can be done with Jeeps!

In my signature below, my '96 XJ has the same drivetrain you just got. Thumbs up on the drivetrain! Plenty of power, and that 4-SPD Auto is the "heaviest" tranny offered in the Cherokees, rated to Tow 5000#, vs. 3500# max. on the sticks.

If you wanna stay auto, you should be good with that one (unless you are into radical Jeeping). Let's see what others have to say about the conversion If it can be done OK, then I think you got a nice drivetrain, I have over 90,000 miles without even a GLITCH so far on any component.
4wheeler4CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2002, 03:32 PM   #3
fred barzdis

please if any body out there knows anything about this or someone who has done something similar to this please let me know the sooner the better because the motor tranny and transfer case are just about out of the cheorkee.
Unread 03-20-2002, 04:28 PM   #4
ahenry

I don't know what all it involves, but I have come across several threads about it. A search will probably find more info than you will know what to do with.
ahenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2002, 08:07 PM   #5
my litte red yj

i have been down that road either swap or do a rebuild well i went rebuild to do a 4.0 change over you need all computer hardware motor mount's and the ax5 trans will not hold up to it and by the time all said and done it will be lots of time and fabracation the 2.5 set up is all light duty but the 4:10 gears while i had the engine out i rebuilt the trans,rebuilt engine with all good ceramic coated pistions all said and done part's was $2500 all labor was mine i pulled the engine trans out one shot it is fairly easy to do that is my 2ct's!
my litte red yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2002, 08:36 PM   #6
fred barzdis

yea that would be the easy way but i would like the power and since i got the other jeep parts so cheeep i figure i might as well do it. the project is not starting till this weekend so i am just trying to gather info until then.
thank you for any input.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.