2.5 or 4.0? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 2.5 or 4.0?

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREERuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 07-17-2002, 06:31 PM   #1
gutpile

2.5 or 4.0?

im thinking of getting a used wrangler, i would prefer the I-6 for obvious reasons, more power, etc. but in my area most of the used jeeps i have been seeing have the 4 cylinder engine, i have heard that the 6 is a very good engine and that it will give many miles of dependable service, but i havent heard that many good things about the 4 cylinder engine, can you folks tell me who makes these engines?, i am assuming that the four is japanese made, but i dont know that for a fact, how dependable is the 4 vs. the six...??? anyone care to comment? thanks in advance.

gutpile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2002, 08:30 PM   #2
jeepcherokeev6

hey gutpile (clever name), i think i can answer some of that.

about reliability, the 4.0 will run forever if you treat it right, but thats true about most newer engines. how reliability compares to the 4-banger, i dont know, never having owned one.

you're right about having more power. from the factory, that 4.0 has about 195 HP, but theres plenty you can do to increase that. most of the jeeps in your area have the 4-cyl. engine, as you said, and... well... thats why its for sale! its worth looking around a bit to find a 4.0 one.

the 4.0 is made by chrysler, as far as i know, while the 4-banger is a GM engine, also seen in some passenger cars, like cavalier, grand am, etc., but also seen in trucks, such as the S-10's , and such.

in summary:

its worth the extra few bucks and research time to get a 4.0

'86 XJ, 2.8 V6 5 spd, 3" lift

"It may be a piece of sh**, but its MY piece of sh**!" -Me
jeepcherokeev6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2002, 09:33 PM   #3
gutpile

thanks for your reply, i'm sure if i look hard enuff and long enuff i can find a good 4.0 wrangler in my price range, i just have to sell my other toy first, a '55 chevy.(i've had it for years)......if i watch American Graffitti one more time i may have to keep it and forget about the jeep!!!
gutpile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2002, 08:54 AM   #4
4wheeler4CJ

The 4-cylinder motor used in the Jeeps are NOT GM motors by any means are not used in any GM vehicles. The motor was developed first by AMC in 1984 (GM 151 Iron Dukes were used in 1980-83 CJs). It has been used all along and is still used by Chrysler, with some minor changes along the way. It is in no way "affiliated" with GM. They are both 2.5L (GM and Chrysler), but that means nothing.

However, I would also personally go with a 4.0L since you have a choice (haven't yet bought, LOL). It will please you much more than the 4 will in the long run.
4wheeler4CJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2002, 01:18 PM   #5
jeepcherokeev6

4wheeler4CJ, thanx for clearing that up. i always thought the 2.5 was the same as GM's 4-banger.

'86 XJ, 2.8 V6 5 spd, 3" lift

"It may be a piece of sh**, but its MY piece of sh**!" -Me
jeepcherokeev6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.