1999 Grand Cherokee transfer case problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 1999 Grand Cherokee transfer case problem

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 12-05-2011, 01:45 PM   #1
mchater

1999 Grand Cherokee transfer case problem

hi all, i have just brought a 4.0 1999 GC as spares or repairs.
problem is that when i reach approx 35 - 45 mph and back off throttle i get a very loud clonking noise contstantly until i press throttle again. if i drive below that speed i dont notice the noise.
with all 4 wheels on the ground, if i twist the front prop by hand from side to side i hear a loud rattle in the transfer box and theres approx 1" movement in the front out put joint.
so i have put it down to needing a new transfer box
it has a 247j in at the moment.

my local jeep breaker SAS Jeeps have given me a 249j box and said that my 4.0 should not have a 247 box in anyway. i have brought the box off them but its is clearly not the right one. front prop coupler is different, selector rod is different, and the 249 has sensors in it where my 247 does not.

they have now said i need to swop the prop coupler and swop the selector lever off my 247

to top it off the 249 they gave me has ATF in it and ive read up that it should have the clear mopar fluid in it.......

do i keep my eye out for another 247 or do i make this 249 fit????

need help asap as they said i can return the 249 if im not happy with it

many thanks

mchater is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.