1999 2.5L skipping @ 2000 rpm only - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 1999 2.5L skipping @ 2000 rpm only

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 11-11-2011, 09:57 PM   #1
bcash616
1999 TJ Wrangler 

1999 2.5L skipping @ 2000 rpm only

My jeep runs great except when under a load @ 2000 rpm it will shutter and skid...runs great @ 1900 and 2100, but doesn't like 2k. Especially noticeable in 4th and 5th gear, but I have noticed it in 2nd and 3rd gear as well.

Anyone know what this could be?

bcash616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2011, 07:10 AM   #2
bcash616
1999 TJ Wrangler 

just an update....I recently replaced the camshaft position sensor and cranshaft position sensor with no cure to the 2000 rpm shutter. if i hold it at 2k uphill, it will studder/skip enough to throw a code, which has been an injector 4 open code. should i replace the injectors next?
Unread 11-28-2011, 03:35 PM   #3
krazzyboy_1
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I am having the same issue it is something with the o2 sensor or map in the PCM. If you are going to replace a sensor try the upstream o2 with a good one like NTK.
Unread 07-19-2012, 07:00 PM   #4
triple555nickel

My 1999 TJ 2.5 also skips/chuggs/sputters in 2nd-5th gear at exactly 2000 rpm while under load. I am really bummed to hear that it is not the cps. I just ordered one.

I can tell you what has NOT fixed it for me... it is not the mass air flow sensor, it is not the throttle position sensor. it is neither the front nor the rear O2 sensor as I have replaced all of the aforementioned parts. It is also not the plugs, the plug wires, the distributor cap or the rotor. Next up for me is the cps (when it arrives) and possibly a new distributor if I can find an affordable one. Also saw in another thread where someone actually got a code for a bad fuel injector if they held the engine in skipping mode while it was under load. They too complained of a specific rpm where it chugged/skipped/or whatever you want to call it.
triple555nickel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2012, 09:05 AM   #5
bcash616
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Update time! OK guys, after spending a small fortune and many late nights in the garage replacing many parts I thought could possibly fix this skipping @ 2k ( injectors,plugs, rebuilt head, cps, every other sensor, and even a new pcm....it still does it....and occasionally will throw a cell p0204 code if I hold it at 2k long enough....please someone help me before I run it off a bridge!
Unread 09-20-2012, 01:37 PM   #6
idriveatj0214

Hi there,
I had the same problem with my 4 banger it ended up being the TPS (throttle position sensor) for some reason it wasn't throwing the code for it so I thought maybe plug wire or distributor so I did a whole tune-up and wasted my time.. Just my .02. I'd give it a try though man!!
idriveatj0214 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2012, 03:49 PM   #7
hiimadam
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I got a 98 that has a similar problem. It feels like I'm driving a tractor.

2.5l as well.

I'm getting a complete 4.0l throttle body from a friend and I'll do some reverse diagnostics for you fellas.

It does sound like it could be
-vacuum leak
-CPS (Cam positioning sensor)
-TPS
-IAC

When you pop off your IAC, clean the inside of the throttle body where the plunger meats the throttle body.
hiimadam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2012, 07:54 AM   #8
hiimadam
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Cleaned the piss out of my Throttle body and the seat for the plunger on the IAC.

it now idles @ 800-1000 RPM

Runs, but runs terribly. New throttle body is in the mail.
hiimadam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2012, 10:06 AM   #9
bcash616
1999 TJ Wrangler 

FIXED IT FIXED IT FIXED IT.......OMG.....after a year plus of throwing money at it, I finally fixed it!

Someone prior to me had the injector 3 and 4 wires swapped on the injectors. Causes a slew of problems (rough but tolerable idle, really rough idle with A/C on, stumbling off idle throttle resp once, and most mind boggling of all the 2000 rpm skip......

I pulled the factory looking tape away from the wiring harness at the injector rail and noticed that # 3 injector wire was slightly longer than the #4 wire(which was going to each others opposite injector) and took a chance......sure enough it cleaned up the idle, no more stumbling, great idle with A/C on and no skipping at 2 k rpm. What a journey this has been trying to solve....I am doing a happy dance at this time!

Hope this helps anyone that may have the same 2k skipping issue.....very hard for a shade tree jeep newb to diagnose!
Unread 09-24-2012, 05:38 PM   #10
triple555nickel

bcash616, let me say this slowly and loudly... YOU ARE THE MAN. I said you ARE the MAN!!!!. I just swapped 3 & 4 injector wires and BAM OMG it worked. Hallelujah. I was about to take this thing out back and pour lighter fluid all over it hahaha. I bought this jeep a year ago from a girl who was a one owner. She didn't appear to be a wrench turner which makes me think the wires may have been crossed at the Factory ??? Do you think? There could be thousands of 2.5's sputtering at 2000 rpm and people just keep driving think its a POS. Thank you thank you thank you for posting your solution and very brave of you to switch the wires and crank it up. I think that is a true measure of your desperation haha and mine too. If I had thought of it, I would have tried it too. So cool to be part of a community where we can solve problems collectively. Thanks again!
triple555nickel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2012, 07:08 PM   #11
smashtj666

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple555nickel
bcash616, let me say this slowly and loudly... YOU ARE THE MAN. I said you ARE the MAN!!!!. I just swapped 3 & 4 injector wires and BAM OMG it worked. Hallelujah. I was about to take this thing out back and pour lighter fluid all over it hahaha. I bought this jeep a year ago from a girl who was a one owner. She didn't appear to be a wrench turner which makes me think the wires may have been crossed at the Factory ??? Do you think? There could be thousands of 2.5's sputtering at 2000 rpm and people just keep driving think its a POS. Thank you thank you thank you for posting your solution and very brave of you to switch the wires and crank it up. I think that is a true measure of your desperation haha and mine too. If I had thought of it, I would have tried it too. So cool to be part of a community where we can solve problems collectively. Thanks again!
It fixed mine too.thanks guys
smashtj666 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2012, 07:46 PM   #12
bcash616
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I am very glad to see others have benefited from this finding....I just about pulled my hair out trying to figure out why my jeep did this. I hope more jeepers can find this post and save time, money, and most of all sanity!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.