1997 Jeep TJ 4.0L Auto Tranny - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 1997 Jeep TJ 4.0L Auto Tranny

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FLASH SALE! Open thread to reveil the Newest Sale @ ROCKRIIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-29-2015, 07:20 PM   #1
MatthewDrakeNC

1997 Jeep TJ 4.0L Auto Tranny

I am having a really hard time locating an Auto Tranny for my 1997 TJ.

It's a 4.0L.

The steering wheel is on the right side, but Chrysler told me it was a factory stock left side steer Jeep...

The only marking on the Tranny is a casting Number 393-2.

Can anybody help me out?

image_1427678275953.jpg  
MatthewDrakeNC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2015, 07:22 PM   #2
MatthewDrakeNC

It's the tranny on the right
image_1427678512648.jpg  
MatthewDrakeNC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2015, 03:48 AM   #3
mmerlinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewDrakeNC View Post
I am having a really hard time locating an Auto Tranny for my 1997 TJ.

It's a 4.0L.

The steering wheel is on the right side, but Chrysler told me it was a factory stock left side steer Jeep...

The only marking on the Tranny is a casting Number 393-2.
1) Steering should have no bearing on which transmission you have, though the controls are obviously different.

2) Your observation on markings is not true. The assembly number, date, serial number, and partial VIN are stamped on the transmission. Most likely none of the numbers will help you locate the correct one, but they might, if Chrysler has a build list available, be able to tell you whether it is original to the vehicle or not.

3) Three-speed in-line Chrysler transmissions after 96 are relatively rare, so it does not surprise me that it is hard to find.

4) Your transmission is relatively bullet proof, so why don't you just rebuild it?

5) The transmission on the left in the picture is a 4-speed Toyota built transmission and is one of the best 4-speed transmissions ever made by anyone. Your transmission is one of the best 3-speeds ever made and Chrysler first started making them in 1959 for the 1960 model year.

6) Call Case Used Parts, Marion SC, 800-234-2928 or Hoopers Used Auto Parts, Dallas NC 704-922-0465. They both apparently have one in stock.
mmerlinn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.