Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

1995 Wrangler clutch replacement question?

17K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  mdm 
#1 ·
I may need to change out the clutch on a 95 wrangler. I have never done a clutch in a jeep before. I found a site online that gave a blow by blow with great pictures to replace the clutch on a 97. But folks are telling me a 97 is very different from a 95.
Does anyone have a good site to learn about a 1995 Wrangler clutch replacement????
How long will it take to do?
Any advice would be appreciated.

#2 ·
95 and 97 both have the same exact trans..and quite frankly is the same conceptually as changing a clutch on any hydraulic clutch'd transmission.
the first clutch i did in my own garage took me about 6 hrs because (hadn't done one since high school and was taking my time). the last time i put a clutch in it took me (and a friend) about 2 hrs from beginning to end

read up on it (do use the "Search" funcion in the YJ section), but if you are mechanically inclined you should not have any problems with this job

good luck

#3 ·
I got out today and tried to do some trouble shooting. Clutch master cylinder had fluid and slave seem fine. both were dry. But thier isn't any clutch when I shift. Doesn't matter if the clutch is used or not I can move into every gear and nothing. I've tried it in 2h and 4H and same thing???

Any ideas??

#4 ·
Had the same thing happen to me after a particularly bad mud hole. It was the clutch, mud and sand had gotten packed in the pressure plate causing it to stay disengaged. I replaced clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing in the parking lot of the ranger station.

#7 ·
How long does it take to swap out the clutch?
Any tips or tricks to doing it?
If you have the facilities in my opinion it's much easier to pull the engine to gain clutch access than the trans-tcase.

This way you also get to "build the clutch" at workbench height and not crawling about on your back.

OH and be prepared to cut a hole in the floorboards if those &*^^%$*^% reverse torx bolts strip out on ya

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.