1993 YJ Temperature Promlems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 1993 YJ Temperature Promlems

Rugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped OSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Building a Bumper?

Unread 07-04-2012, 12:00 AM   #1
jjarrett
1993 YJ Wrangler 

1993 YJ Temperature Promlems

PLEASE HELP!! I'm going crazy trying to figure this out...

My Jeep is a 93 YJ, 4.0, 5-Speed, No a/c, with power steering

I recently purchased the Jeep and it has 150k mile on it. The PO dknow if any of the cooling system had been touched in a while so I decided to put a little work into it before anything took a dump on me.

I replaced the water pump (FlowKooler), thermostat (180*), thermostat housing, radiator hoses, heater hoses, fan clutch (TorqFlo) and both temperature sending units ( the one that is on the t-stat housing and the one that is on the back of the block). I flushed the system prior to refilling it. There was no crud that came out and the old radiator fluid still looked like new.

Prior to the switch the engine ran at a consistent 210*. Now the engine is running one line past 210. It will go to 210 when I bring up the RPMs but then back up when it idles.

I figured that by changing to all the new parts, doing the flush and upgrading to the new high flow water pump it should be running cooler, not hotter.

Any suggestion s would be greatly appreciated.

If there is any info I left out that may help diagnose the problem let me know.

Unread 07-04-2012, 12:16 AM   #2
jjarrett
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Correction on my last, I put in a Stant 195* thermostat in because that was what I was told was the stock temperature for my jeep.
Unread 07-04-2012, 12:18 AM   #3
jjarrett
1993 YJ Wrangler 

From what I can tell from the imprint in the bottom of the old T-stat it looks like the old one was also a 195*
Unread 07-25-2012, 10:56 AM   #4
jjarrett
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone?? Help!
Unread 07-25-2012, 03:06 PM   #5
Why J?
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I would check for air in the system. Also flow test the radiator. You can do this by pulling the upper and lower hoses and putting a garden hose in the fill neck. If there is a restriction the radiator will fill up and not flow water quickly out of the bottom outlet.

Make sure the t stat is in correctly. Also check your fan clutch.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-pissed-wife-747535/
Phase II 5.3L/4L60e then NV3550
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...stall-1400506/
Why J? is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2012, 05:33 PM   #6
jjarrett
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you, looks like I know what I will be doing next weekend.
Unread 12-24-2012, 11:31 AM   #7
jjarrett
1993 YJ Wrangler 

After hours of checking and replacing nearly the entire cooling system it ended up being the temp sending unit or the gauge. A local shop used an IR thermometer to check the temp in several different places and no matter where they checked it showed under 200*. Looked like the FlowKooler works. Just picked up a mechanical temp gauge and will put it in as soon as I get the adapter to make it fit.
Unread 01-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #8
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjarrett
After hours of checking and replacing nearly the entire cooling system it ended up being the temp sending unit or the gauge. A local shop used an IR thermometer to check the temp in several different places and no matter where they checked it showed under 200*. Looked like the FlowKooler works. Just picked up a mechanical temp gauge and will put it in as soon as I get the adapter to make it fit.
Yes 195 is correct 180 is too low. If you're curious radio shack sells an IR temp reader for 20 bucks. It's a good tool to have anyway (auto repairs, bbqs, etc) the sending unit is the single prong deal right behind the head on driver side. It's an easy swap.
seattle_yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 11:38 PM   #9
jjarrett
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry for the late reply but thanks for the advice. I went out and got an IR thermometer and it was a great investment and will hopefully save me some cash next time something like this comes up.
Unread 04-08-2013, 03:27 AM   #10
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjarrett
Sorry for the late reply but thanks for the advice. I went out and got an IR thermometer and it was a great investment and will hopefully save me some cash next time something like this comes up.
I use mine all the time. Food, BBQ, hot tub, house drafts, fireplace, jeep. It's pretty awesome. I just used it last night to check how much better the insulation was on some windows I installed over the old aluminum ones.
seattle_yj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.