1993 Wrangler YJ ticking. Lifter tick? help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 1993 Wrangler YJ ticking. Lifter tick? help!

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 10-04-2012, 03:07 PM   #1
xxxxxxxTunesUpTopDown
1993 YJ Wrangler 

1993 Wrangler YJ ticking. Lifter tick? help!

My 93 Wrangler 4.0 HO i6 has developed a delightful tick. Sounds like what I believe to be lifter tick. Ive been told by some that I should get it fixed immediatly. Others have said its just a hydraulic lifter and its not hurting anything. Whats the most common "ticking" sound sourse and how should I go about addressing the problem. Any imput is appreciated. Thank you.

xxxxxxxTunesUpTopDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I noticed a tick when I went from a light weight oil to a heavier weight. Next oil change I put 5w30 back in and the tick went away. Is the tick all the time or just for a few minutes when the engine is cold, then goes away?
seattle_yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2012, 05:19 PM   #3
xxxxxxxTunesUpTopDown
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Its all the time. Ive got a small rear main seal leak so I put about a quart of penzoil 10w-30 in every two weeks or so. I just replaced the oil filter. Bosch brand. I was told it may be a hydraulic lifter and its not hurting anything but I still want it to go away. Im going to do a tune up (new oil and air filters, spark plugs, complete oil change just for good measure etc) soon and id like to fix the tick and my rear main at that time. Just trying to diagnose first. I appreciate the reply.
xxxxxxxTunesUpTopDown is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.