1990 jeep xj engine knocking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 1990 jeep xj engine knocking

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 07-13-2010, 05:14 PM   #1
jeepgirl_90
1990 FSJ Cherokee 

1990 jeep xj engine knocking

any ideas as to why it's knocking or how I can get the noise to go away ?

jeepgirl_90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 07:38 PM   #2
whiskeyNcoke
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgirl_90 View Post
It is knocking because it wants in. Maybe it is too cold at night for it, and it wants to be in the warm house. One way to get it to stop would be to answer the door. Maybe put a blanket on it.

In all seriousness, you gave us absolutely zero info to go off of. In order to diagnose what's wrong over the net, we will need as much detailed info that you can possibly give us. We can only base the "knocking" sound, off of what you say. For all we know, it could be as simple as a lifter tapping, and you are saying it is knocking. I'm not trying to call you dumb, but you need to elaborate a little.
whiskeyNcoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 05:11 PM   #3
whiskeyNcoke
1985 CJ7 

Must not want our help.....

or my first response was all it needed
whiskeyNcoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 07:50 PM   #4
Obnoxious1
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgirl_90 View Post
Greetings! & Welcome to Jeep Forums!
Your going to have to give us a lot more to go on as far as a knocking sound.
Try to answer the following:

Dull thud knock or sharp loud metallic knock?
Can you tell what area of the vehicle it is coming from? (front, back, bottom?)
Does the Jeep run?
If yes, How well is it running? good, poor, like crap?
Does the knock get louder or faster if you rev the engine?
Does the knock only happen when your moving? ( or in gear )
If drivable, does the Jeep ride really rough? does it bounce? Pull hard to one side? steering feels loose? Does it shift gears ok? jerks when changing gears?
Are there any puddles under the Jeep after you park it?

Answer as many of those questions as you can in a reply & one of the many knowledgeable men & women on these forums will be happy to help diagnose your Jeeps problem.

Good luck!
A Four wheel mechanized device surrounded by glass and metal designed for the frequent consumption of the owner/operator's money. Jeeps are also linked to diseases such as Jeep envy which can be diagnosed by unusual urges for items such as bigger tires,lift kits, shocks and AMC 401s. As well as the urge to pour money into more than one Jeep. Side effects may be spouse accruing numerous "honey-do's", as well as trips to inlaws. Grease under your nails, numerous trips to NAPA and junk yards, and spare parts in the attic may indicate an addiction. There are no known cures. However there are support groups such as JeepForum.com
Obnoxious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2010, 07:53 AM   #5
jeepgirl_90
1990 FSJ Cherokee 

Okay it is a 1990 Cherokee Laredo. 4.0 engine. I just got it a few months ago, It has a slight ticking noise that you hear well it is running. It was recently making another noise as well due to a wore out crank pully which I replaced. I just want to have an idea as to what the ticking may be. Maybe the rod bearings need replaced or how I can check for lifters that may be shot or stuck?
jeepgirl_90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2010, 11:05 AM   #6
Diamond-x
1991 XJ Cherokee 

The 4 liter engine is noisy. Be sure you are running the proper oil level. A backyard trick is to take a short length of pipe, maybe pvc, and cup it to your ear. Then put the other end near the valve cover or near the lower block to see if you can isolate the location of the sound.
A tick is usually a valve and is common.
A bad rod bearing is very loud knock which gets progressively louder.
It will also produce metal bits in the oil.
Diamond-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 02:15 PM   #7
Silvestris
1998 TJ Wrangler 

A light tick is usually your valvetrain, which is normal for an older car, it should be fine. My 93 Lumina had a valvetrain tick to it too, you really shouldn't hear it much if at all with the hood down. If it's louder than that it might be something more serious like a rod hitting, but with a rod you won't have much if any oil pressure and no power. My Lumina had that too. What it also could be is detonation/pre-ignition. It would sound more like a diesel engine and can hurt your engine pretty bad along with a rough idle. This can be easily fixed by using a higher octane fuel or an octane booster. A lower temperature thermostat would probably fix it too.
Silvestris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 02:30 PM   #8
BulldogTJ98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Rods make noise in all 4.0Ls. they just do. Not a bad knock. just a low knock at idle. And the topend tick is probably a crack in the dang exhaust manifold. They're notorious for cracking.

[SIZE="2"][B][COLOR="Orange"]'98 TJ 4.0L, AX-15 5spd, NP231, RE 4.5 rear, 3"&.75" BB front, JKS discos, 33x12.50 KM2s on Rock Crawlers, 3.73s, Dana30 front, Dana 44 rear, JB Conversions SS SYE, JKS HD Tierod, Warn 8274 Winch, Front Stinger and Rear stinger w/ tire carrier, Rokmen Corners, Aluminum Radiator, LED tailights, Rock Lights, KCs, K&N airfilter, Optima Redtop, Cobra CB and a Sony soundbar[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
BulldogTJ98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine , engine knocking , knock , knocking , knocks , motor , motor knock , motor knocking

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.