1990 ignition tumbler suddenly hard to turn - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 1990 ignition tumbler suddenly hard to turn

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comEliminate Hood Flutter!!!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-26-2012, 11:15 AM   #1
adawers
1990 XJ Cherokee 

1990 ignition tumbler suddenly hard to turn

my 1990 cherokee sport was doing fine all day, then all of a sudden i went to turn it off and the tumbler was extremely hard to turn. it wasnt stuck, just very difficult to turn. i tapped on it, tried it in Park, tried it in Neutral, and finally i looked at the key. the key appeared to be worn, but since it was in the middle of a turn, the pins already should have been lined up, not causing difficulty in turning at the point i am experiencing it. maybe im wrong? also, the NSS has been acting up recently, ive even had to hotwire the starter wire at the battery, but this wouldnt cause the tumbler to be stuck would it? or is the ignition tumbler itself just bad? thanks

adawers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2012, 01:49 PM   #2
DosYeeps
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like it is a bad tumbler man, unfortunately you have to pull the Steering Wheel to replace it but it isn't that difficult with the correct tools.
DosYeeps is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
90DesertTanYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Could be the tumbler or anything between there and the ignition switch. There is a gear on the other side of the tumbler that actuates a rack that moves the rod that goes to the ignition switch. Your just gonna have to get in there and look. You will need a steering wheel puller and a lock plate compression tool, both can be borrowed from AutoZone.
90DesertTanYJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.