1989 Wrangler bogging down, irratic idling. Need some help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 1989 Wrangler bogging down, irratic idling. Need some help

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 01-08-2013, 06:17 PM   #1
sapadeni
1989 YJ Wrangler 

1989 Wrangler bogging down, irratic idling. Need some help

Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping all of your extensive experience will get me out of this one...
I have a 1989 Jeep Wrangler with a 2.5 liter engine. It had been running like a Lexus until the last few weeks. Now, when I run it for 45 minutes or so (sometimes more, sometimes less), it loses power, kicks and bucks, and backfires when I get on the throttle, and gets progressively worse. I also notice that my idle (which had been perfectly smooth and steady), now oscillates up and down when at idle (though still smooth). I recently had a valve job done, new coil, wires, plugs, distributor cap, new fuel filter, new temp sensor, rebuilt throttle body, new fuel injector, new MAP sensor, O2 sensor, and new vacuum lines. The mechanic that did the valve job said that my fuel pressure was good. I have no Cat.

I am now looking at the Ignition Control Module, Throttle position sensor, or ECU (hell, there's not much else left!). Anyone have any thoughts before I sink yet more money into this project?? ;-) I should also point out that most of the time it's running GREAT, then after 40 minutes or so it starts running like hell, kicking, bucking, and backfiring. I could really use some help on this one!

Thanks!

sapadeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 10:47 PM   #2
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

It's karma telling you to put your cat back on.
seattle_yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 05:51 AM   #3
sapadeni
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If you find the guy that cut it off with a sawz-all I'll be glad to put it back on. I'm just hoping to get it running right now so I can get to work. Thanks for the help.
sapadeni is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.