1989 jeep che lifter taping need advise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 1989 jeep che lifter taping need advise

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake Line

Unread 02-08-2009, 08:46 PM   #1
dodgeram1982
1989 FSJ Cherokee 

1989 jeep che lifter taping need advise

hi i have an 1989 jeep 4.L has an valve tap at idle up to 1500 rpm that i can hear . i changed the oil no change so i took the valve cover of checked the push rods 9 dont move 2 barly 1 has some play im not sure if it is the valve spring or the lifter makes the nose very clear when i let of the gas . has good power just hte noise i statred it with the cover off all looks ok up down up down . do u have to remove the head to replace the lifter. any advice would be great thanks

Last edited by dodgeram1982; 02-09-2009 at 12:17 AM..
dodgeram1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2009, 09:43 PM   #2
xyimmyx
1988 XJ Cherokee 

the valves arent adjustable on these engines. you probably have carbon acumulating on the valvetrain. Try some engine cleaner treatments. there s a product GUMOUT that I used in the past on a slant six motor with this same issue. You pour it in your engine before changing the oil and let it idle for 5 min and then drain it and fill it like usual, it clean some of the crap out. Theres also fuel system cleans, that will help clean your intake valve, as they tend to build up carbon too. I like the TECHTRON brand by chevron. We use it at work almost exclusivly. It is meant to be pour into the tank when you fill up but we jsut pour it threw the throttle body little by little liek you woul dwith other intake cleaners. Smoke liek a MOFO though so dont do it in the garage.
xyimmyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2009, 06:59 PM   #3
dodgeram1982
1989 FSJ Cherokee 

i tride that additives still the tap tap tap
dodgeram1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2009, 08:16 PM   #4
wrightjeep
1989 YJ Wrangler 

yank the head

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.