1978 CJ7 T18 Transmission Issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 1978 CJ7 T18 Transmission Issue

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-30-2012, 07:15 PM   #1
BigDummy

1978 CJ7 T18 Transmission Issue

Hi there. First time poster.

I am looking at buying a 78 CJ7 that has a chevy 350 engine and T18 transmission. The transmission is noisy and the current owner says it needs to be rebuilt because it had water in the gear oil and must have a bearing problem. I am wondering what it would take to rebuild this (can I do it myself or how much does a rebuild typically cost). I am pretty mechanically able but have never opened a transmission before. Also I am considering changing it to an automatic but I don't know what transmission I would need for this to work best. As for use, I am planning to be able to drive this on the road, and light to medium play on the trails and in mud. Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks

BigDummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
BigDummy

SO I ended up buying the Jeep. I got the trans pulled out last night and pulled the cover and there is some surface rust on a couple of the gears, and there is a LOT of slop in the input shaft bearing and where the input shaft connects to the main shaft. I have decided to stick with the 4 speed, but I am going to replace the clutch, linkage, and all the rest while I'm in there. The local trans shop wants $550 just to install the bearing and seal kit (unless it needs something else in addition). I still haven't decided if I should try this on my own. Other option would be to buy one off Craigslist or something, I found one not too far away for $400. I feel like I could probably do the rebuild myself, but I really don't want to mess this up.... Any advice???
BigDummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 10:16 PM   #3
mmerlinn

It is pretty hard to mess up a T18 rebuild. Go for it.
mmerlinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 10:33 PM   #4
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

The t-18 is a great trans and as far as building a 4spd manual they are probably one of the easiest. You should at least get a manual in case you get stumped by something. It would be good to have a buddy around to help or provide opinions and moral support haha. If you dont find a manual, then search the internet for write-ups and pics, might be handy to have that stuff before you jump into it.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 04:24 PM   #5
oteps
1980 CJ5 

There is a write up on the internet. Make sure you use a wooden dowl rod for the bearings, it makes it easier. Its not very hard if you are mechanically inclined.
oteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 08:05 PM   #6
gojeepgo
1981 CJ7 

I would rebuild it myself if I had the ability to, otherwise I would get it rebuilt for the $550 the shop is asking. If you psend $400 on another you might just end up with someone elses problem that needs to be rebuilt.
gojeepgo is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.