1978 cj5 clutch for amc 401 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 1978 cj5 clutch for amc 401

Happy Thursday! From Morris 4X4 CenterHalloween Savings to die for!THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 09-10-2013, 10:07 PM   #1
rbdesse

1978 cj5 clutch for amc 401

I am swapping a 401 into my 1978 cj5 which currently has an amc 304 and t150 transmission. I am not sure what clutch kit to buy. Should I just get a stock replacement for the 1978 cj5 with amc304 or do I need to upgrade to a clutch for the amc 401? I think the full size jeep with 401s have a different throw out bearing which might not be compatible with my clutch fork, etc.

Any comments on a clutch kit for my application from someone who has done this swap?

Thanks.

rbdesse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 05:18 AM   #2
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Stock should be fine.

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
My Jeep Technical Photos

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 06:10 AM   #3
jp360cj
1977 CJ7 

The stock 304 will be fine, but I would avoid a discount clutch (like AZ or Advance). Put one behind my 360 and it does ok but the clutch slips before the tires do. look into centerforce or luk clutches

Tags
401 , amc , cj5 , clutch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.