1976 dj5d seized engine rescue... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 1976 dj5d seized engine rescue...

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-08-2014, 09:28 PM   #1
HICKS25

1976 dj5d seized engine rescue...

I am attempting to un seize the engine with atf in the sparkplug holes. Letting it sit till tomorrow night and I'll start the manual labor of trying to turn it. Anyone succeeded at this or have advice I would appreciate the input.
Summer of 03 is the last time she ran. No water in oil, no fluid on top of cylinders. Hopefully not cracked.

Sent from my Samsung S4. Courtesy of all errors.

1399605968623.jpg   1399605980612.jpg   1399605991847.jpg   1399606035288.jpg  
HICKS25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2014, 09:35 PM   #2
HICKS25

Quote:
Originally Posted by HICKS25 View Post
I am attempting to un seize the engine with atf in the sparkplug holes. Letting it sit till tomorrow night and I'll start the manual labor of trying to turn it. Anyone succeeded at this or have advice I would appreciate the input.
Summer of 03 is the last time she ran. No water in oil, no fluid on top of cylinders. Hopefully not cracked.

Unread 05-09-2014, 09:17 AM   #3
strvger01
1966 CJ5 

nice find. good luck with the engine. if it doesn't work, replacement 6 cylinder engines are pretty plentiful. you shouldn't have any problems finding a replacement. looks like you have a 1970's model? if so , the AMC 232 and 258 will bolt right up. the 304 v8 should hook up to your bell housing, iirc, but you'd need different motor mounts for the v8.
good luck to you and welcome to the site!
Unread 05-09-2014, 11:39 AM   #4
HICKS25

Thanks for the positive response. Ive been looking all morning for a v8 that'll work with my 727 and 300 tcase.

Unread 05-09-2014, 11:40 AM   #5
HICKS25

It's a 1976 dj5d with a 258 727 and a 300 tcase.

Unread 05-09-2014, 06:23 PM   #6
strvger01
1966 CJ5 

you might try some research. the 727 tranny is chrysler. you might find that one of their venerable mopar 318ci engine will work. maybe even the 360ci, idk.
good luck to you.
Unread 07-28-2014, 01:37 PM   #7
HICKS25

Quote:
Originally Posted by strvger01 View Post
nice find. good luck with the engine. if it doesn't work, replacement 6 cylinder engines are pretty plentiful. you shouldn't have any problems finding a replacement. looks like you have a 1970's model? if so , the AMC 232 and 258 will bolt right up. the 304 v8 should hook up to your bell housing, iirc, but you'd need different motor mounts for the v8.
good luck to you and welcome to the site!
Back at my project after a finishing others. I noticed a cross member under my 232 has a 3/8" gap between the front differential. This jeep was converted to a 4x4. If I drop a 350 v8 in do the new mounts still require the cross member?

Unread 07-29-2014, 07:03 AM   #8
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Does the engine spin yet?

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2014, 03:19 PM   #9
HICKS25

I'm buying a few parts this week. I'll get something spinning this weekend.
Unread 07-30-2014, 05:21 PM   #10
HICKS25

Would love some help at getting this ol 232 running.
Unread 07-30-2014, 08:19 PM   #11
BIGBADWOLF
2004 WJ 

Spin motor over by hand before using starter. Seen many broken pushrods because this rule was not followed.
BIGBADWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2014, 10:53 AM   #12
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

First thing to do is pull the valve train. This will eliminate the chance your dealing with a stuck valve, which is very common on vehicles that have been sitting a long time. Forcing the crank with a bad valve will bend push rods and/ or damage the valve/guide.

If you still can't get the engine to turn by hand, you're best bet is to pull the head.
This will allow you to take a soft mallet and a 2X4 and gently tap on the offending piston. This is a much better method than forcing it to move via the crankshaft. If you squirt PB or the like around the rings, then just tap the pistion a bit. This usually allows the rings to flex a bit and the lube to penetrate the ring lands and cylinder walls. DO NOT FORCE THE PISTON unless you have to. Forcing it will insure the culinder wall being bunged up to the point you will probably have to bore. Sometimes you don't have a choice, just don't get impatient and have at it early on in the process.

Once the piston moves, you can easly see the cylinder wall to make an assessment. You will also be able to drop the piston and clean the lands and inspect/replace the rings, as well as hone the cylinder if it is salvagable.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2014, 12:16 PM   #13
HICKS25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000 View Post
First thing to do is pull the valve train. This will eliminate the chance your dealing with a stuck valve, which is very common on vehicles that have been sitting a long time. Forcing the crank with a bad valve will bend push rods and/ or damage the valve/guide.

If you still can't get the engine to turn by hand, you're best bet is to pull the head.
This will allow you to take a soft mallet and a 2X4 and gently tap on the offending piston. This is a much better method than forcing it to move via the crankshaft. If you squirt PB or the like around the rings, then just tap the pistion a bit. This usually allows the rings to flex a bit and the lube to penetrate the ring lands and cylinder walls. DO NOT FORCE THE PISTON unless you have to. Forcing it will insure the culinder wall being bunged up to the point you will probably have to bore. Sometimes you don't have a choice, just don't get impatient and have at it early on in the process.

Once the piston moves, you can easly see the cylinder wall to make an assessment. You will also be able to drop the piston and clean the lands and inspect/replace the rings, as well as hone the cylinder if it is salvagable.
Thanks for the advice. I'll tale what I can get.
Unread 08-06-2014, 12:18 PM   #14
HICKS25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADWOLF View Post
Spin motor over by hand before using starter. Seen many broken pushrods because this rule was not followed.
She doesn't turn freely by hand. I am thinking about pulling her out and going the 350 rout. Deciding if I want to spend any money on something I would like to replace in the future.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.