1970 cj5 wont charge. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 1970 cj5 wont charge.

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 10-23-2011, 04:07 PM   #1
dagrizz

1970 cj5 wont charge.

I had the battery tested and it's in good shape. I put a new starter and cylinoid in. It only has one wire coming off it though. It has a newer altanator. I had the altanator tested and it would not put out a reading. I was told that even if it was bad it would still put out a small reading. Any suggestions? I'm at a loss. Thanks a lot.

dagrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2011, 04:50 PM   #2
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

I'm assuming you have the stock Motorola alternator (might want to fill out your profile).
If you had the alternator checked and it isn't putting out any voltage, then my guess is it is bad. If you can get it working and the system won't charge, the next step is to have the voltage regulator checked.
After that, you can check to see if you have power to the alternator warning light (if the light bulb is bad, the charging system won't work) and then on to the alternator itself.
In the end, an upgrade to a GM internally regulated alternator can be done with a minimum of effort.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.