1955 CJ5 Fuel Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 1955 CJ5 Fuel Problem

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 06-18-2014, 04:44 PM   #1
DanHaga
1955 CJ5 

1955 CJ5 Fuel Problem

Hey guys, I could use some help. My Jeep 55 CJ5 (4-cyl) recently stopped getting fuel so I ordered a new fuel pump for it. I installed the new pump and I just cannot get it to start. I have a transparent fuel filter and I watch it remain dry as I just crank and crank.

I have blown air thru the lines from the pump in both directions so no clogs.

I have tried putting some gas in the carb and itll start for a second but just die soon after.

Any suggestions?

DanHaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2014, 09:46 PM   #2
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

May have a pinhole leak in the fuel line, causing it to pull air
collapsed fuel line
Bad pump

First check to insure you have fuel flowing out of the tank and through the line. Remove the inlet side (sucking) and pressurize the tank. If fuel doesn't flow out of the hose, then you have a plugged line or the sock in the tank is full of crud.

With the inlet side (sucking) still off, crank the engine. You should get vacuum at the nipple. If not, then you have a valve issue, pump arm not engaged, or diaphragm is bad.

If you have vacuum, then hook up the inlet line, take the outlet line off, and crank it again. If you get fuel out of the pump, then the line to the carb is blocked, fuel filter plugged, or the carb float is stuck shut.

If it has a glass bowl, insure it is sealed
I know it sounds stupid, but don't get the vacuum booster (if equipped) for the wipers confused with the fuel pump.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2014, 08:58 PM   #3
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHaga View Post
Hey guys, I could use some help. My Jeep 55 CJ5 (4-cyl) recently stopped getting fuel so I ordered a new fuel pump for it. I installed the new pump and I just cannot get it to start. I have a transparent fuel filter and I watch it remain dry as I just crank and crank.

I have blown air thru the lines from the pump in both directions so no clogs.

I have tried putting some gas in the carb and itll start for a second but just die soon after.

Any suggestions?
Transparent fuel filter? Are you talking about the sediment bowl just before the carb? The inline fuel filter is probably attached to the frame just outside of the fuel tank.

If your girl is throwing gang signs with her toes you're hitting the spot.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2014, 05:54 PM   #4
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

Rust hole in the line, or the pick up in the tank or someone drained the last drop of fuel. I use a siphon pump to draw gas through the new pump. Oh! The lobe could be wiped out! (or a Chinese made pump is DOA)

'81 Eagle wagon with upgrades $2500
'87 Comanche shortbox 4.0/AW4/NP242 on 33" tires $3500
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2014, 10:45 AM   #5
strvger01
1966 CJ5 

doesn't the '55 have the bottom mounted fuel line? just crack it open and make sure fuel is getting out of the tank. then, while you're under there, you can check for leaks in the line itself. next, i'd double check your new fuel pump. i just went through 3 of them on a vehicle of mine. the first two were bad.
no offense, but your new fuel filter was put on correctly? there is usually an arrow showing flow direction. this sometimes gets overlooked.
Unread 06-26-2014, 10:49 AM   #6
DanHaga
1955 CJ5 

Thanks for the help guys. Got a new pump and managed to get it started. But now I have new issues to ask you about.

I have a 1955 CJ5 with the 4-134 engine. It idles ok but when I give it any kinda gas is hesitates and bogs down. Sometimes also pops and blows a mist of gas outta the carb.

Some quick details. I have done a 12v conversion. Everything electrical is new.

I use this distributor:

I use this carb:

This all really started when I installed the new distributor. The shaft is keyed so it can only be installed one way so pretty sure I didnt screw that up. The timing is set correctly. I even tried putting the old distributor back in and it the problem remained. Points look good, dwell is good...

I followed the instructions perfectly for setting up the solex carb a even tried swapping the factory carb back in and that didnt help.

Tried fuel pump spacer.

Fresh tank of gas.

Plugs look fine, wires are new.

Compression test shows good numbers in all cylinders.

Any one have any ideas or suggestions? I am stumped.

I took some video of a vacuum gauge while idle, slowly applying throttle and tapping the throttle. Can you guys have a look and tell me what you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j18k7fpKH7A

Here is another video just of the engine while playing with throttle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SlEBoL2nHo
DanHaga is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.