1944 Jeep Willys drive train swap help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 1944 Jeep Willys drive train swap help

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 10-03-2011, 08:00 AM   #1
n8thagr8

1944 Jeep Willys drive train swap help

I found my familys old 44 jeep and the 2.5ltr-or whatever 4 cylinder was in it- is seized and the 3 spedd tranny only goes to 60mph and at high rpm's. I have to put a new engine in it, and also what can I do about the transmision, i want to drive it alot, so could I put in a 5 speed or something?

n8thagr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2011, 08:45 PM   #2
n8thagr8

Putting a chevy v8 small block, probably 350 or 305 in it. keeping the 3 speed so i can keep 4x4 without braking the bank on new parts. All i need is the engine, tires, grille, windshield, and radiator, and eventually a roll cage so I can put a cab on it.
Unread 10-05-2011, 04:01 PM   #3
colojeepguy
1970 CJ5 

I'd recommend a V6-either a Chevy 4.3 or a Buick 225/231. Plenty of power for a small Jeep and easier on the drivetrain. If you want more top speed, you either need to go to higher diff gears (which will hurt you off road)or get a Warn/Saturn overdrive unit for the stock transfer case (expensive but worth it).
colojeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2011, 08:20 PM   #4
Smokey007

Pinto 4 cylinder and a T15 trans plus the overdrive.
Smokey007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2011, 07:35 PM   #5
n8thagr8

Chabge of plans. Restoring a 1964 jeep willys instead. it has more of the parts I need and ran 5 years ago as a plow truck. Also might have a ford 302 truck as a donor engine and possibly trans. The jeep still only has a 3 or 4 speed with a buick v6, what could i use to put the ford motor in the standard tranny? not talking motor mounts but like what I need to put it right on the tranny. How hard is it to put a auto tranny from the ford in it or a 5 speed?
Unread 10-06-2011, 11:27 PM   #6
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

Before you go off half cocked, I would drive the V6 for a while. It is by far the best engine offered in a CJ. That being said, you seem to be in a big hurry to start a swap on something. I've found that it is best to drive the rig for a while, evaluate it's performance, then formulate a build plan that focuses on the overcoming/fixing the deficiencies you find.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2011, 12:46 PM   #7
n8thagr8

Sorry for the confusion but thats what i was going to do. With a closer inspection the whole body needs replacing and Im probly going to do a fiberglass body for its non rusting. as of now the floorboards are gone in the left side and alnost gone on the right. After the engine is running and everything works we are going to strip and repaint everything then put the new body on and roll cage and new soft top. it also needs new seats.
Unread 10-14-2011, 05:55 PM   #8
n8thagr8

Again change of plans. Were restoring the old army jeep. its not a 40's either (we think) it might even be a marine jeep but we wont know untill later inspection. hardest part will be finding a front grille for it
Unread 10-14-2011, 06:45 PM   #9
colojeepguy
1970 CJ5 

pics! we need pics!
colojeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2011, 06:40 PM   #10
n8thagr8

Im going to start a wordpress on the restoration process. also id upload the 2 pics if i knew how so dirrection is needed! Also its a mid 50's jeep idk what specific year, and for sure a M38.
Unread 10-22-2011, 09:25 PM   #11
n8thagr8

Update again. Wordpress going up this week, I will put a link up when done. I un buried it from all the old tractor parts on it, in it and around it. Found the original radiator and grille in the back of it. Thats a huge lifesaver. Hopefully tomorow I will get around to pumping up the tires and get it dragged out onto a trailer to bring to my barn where i can clean it and see what I need to get it running. If the flathead f head 4cyl doesnt run and cant run without major modification ( if it doesnt run then I can get the carb from sticking out the hood so i can put the windshield down) what engines can o put in it? Im not looking to climb a wall or go fast. I need it to be small enough to fit in without major complication and easily mount to the t 90 tranny.
Unread 10-23-2011, 08:52 PM   #12
n8thagr8

armyjeepbuild.wordpress.com is now up and running. Im going to start a new thread on the jeep itself.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.