? 10w40 for a higher milage motor? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > ? 10w40 for a higher milage motor?

New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery MountsComplete Axle Options Expanded !!!! ECGSNEW Smittybilt Gen 2 9.5 winch at JeepHut.com

Unread 10-29-2012, 08:18 AM   #1
psychovinnie

? 10w40 for a higher milage motor?

i have a 99 xj with the i6. its got 171450 miles. a friends dad suggested that when i get my oil changed at 171500, i should switch from 10w30 to 10w40. said the thicker oil will help preserve my engine; and that he had put 10w40 in his 70 bronco for that reason. wats you thoughts? should i switch or no?

psychovinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 09:57 AM   #2
90DesertTanYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If your experiencing lower oil pressures the 10W40 will help with that. If your not having any issues I wouldnt worry about it. You could use a "hi mileage" oil if you want but the syntho has a tendency to creep out in spots you didnt have leaks before.
90DesertTanYJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.