'07 XK 4.7L Stalling, Hesitation, misfire. Help - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 04-21-2017, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
BigPete
2007 XK Commander 

'07 XK 4.7L Stalling, Hesitation, misfire. Help

I'm having a problem with my '07 4.7L limited. 148k miles. Coughing, sputtering, wild idle and at times it dies and stop lights. After the check engine light comes and i use the remote start, it'll rarely stay running longer than 5-10 secs. After it dies that first time the remote start wont work anymore, it just honks the horn once instead of twice. This mostly happens in and just after being in traffic and it is guarantied to happen if I run the a/c.

stuff I've done to try and fix the issue:
re-flashed the ECM
new OEM spark plugs from Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep
replaced vacuum line on back of intake (had a leak)
replaced the ambient air sensor (like above)(mine looked good, but replaced anyway)

example:
On a trip from San Diego up the mountians to Big Bear (about 3hrs drive time) last month we hit traffic for a few miles and without turning on the a/c it started having idle issues. After we got clear of the stop and go, I could only ease into the throttle a little bit otherwise it'd couch and sputter hard until i let off the gas. I was able to get up to 65-70 mph, but trying accelerate to pass anybody was out of the question. When we got to the mountain's windy road and kept it under 47/50 mph i could accelerate somewhat hard until it hit 50, then it would sputter hard again.

With 148k I understand that there will be things that are ready to be fixed. Do you think it'd be worth it to just replace the Crank position sensor, or should I roll the dice and take it back to the dealer and have them charge me a Boat load and not fix the problem again. I've taken it to them 4 times now. 1st and 2nd time they found nothing wrong with it. 3rd time i had them Flash the ECM...still no change, and the 4th time they fixed the vacuum leak, trany line leak and water pump(these needed to be fixed, but...). All this and it still acts the same. The only thing i do now that is different from then is that i don't run the a/c, but it still happens from time to time. Luckily not as bad and not for very long.

thanks for reading through this.
Pete

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-21-2017, 09:08 PM
OldTimer51

Similar symptoms once with my 1973 Datsun 240Z. Replace the fuel filter.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-24-2017, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
BigPete
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimer51 View Post
Similar symptoms once with my 1973 Datsun 240Z. Replace the fuel filter.
That is something I was thinking about, but wouldn't that be somewhat consistent weather or not I was running the a/c?

I swapped out the Crank Position Sensor this week end and so far it didn't help. I'm hopping that it needs time to settle. My wife drove it home and i had her put the a/c on and it ran like crap, but once she turned off the a/c it started to smooth out and not act a fool. On another forum, a guy sugested checking voltage, engine off, engine running(a/c off), and engine running a/c clutch engaged. He was saying that new cars start running bad if the voltage is < ~13 volts. I haven't checked this yet, but it is now on my list of things to do.

post #4 of 4 Old 04-27-2017, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
BigPete
2007 XK Commander 

Update.

I replaced the crank position sensor that i got from the dealer this last weekend and was able to drive in med to heavy traffic with the a/c on to give it a real good test. I drove about 20-30 min to get my hair cut and it drove there fine, but when I came out to leave it started running like crap. I turned the a/c off and it smoothed out a bit, but not back to normal.

i did some research to find the fuel filter and apparently there isn't a separate filter. There are two "filters" on this jeep, one is the sock on the intake of the fuel pump and the second is a screen immediately after the sock... no inline filter on the frame or anything >.<

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.