05 wrangler unlimited engine light - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 05 wrangler unlimited engine light

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-03-2013, 08:47 AM   #1
gothamtcb23
2005 TJ Wrangler 

05 wrangler unlimited engine light

Hey Guys or Gals

So I have a 2005 Wrangler Unlimited. It's got about 90,000 miles on it and it seems to run fine. The only thing is, my check engine light goes on a lot. Every time I run it through the computer, it comes up that the O2 Sensors need to be changed. But I have changed them at least 4 times in the past two years. So I'll change them, and then a few months later, the engine light is on again. It's frustrating and its slowly draining my wallet. Does somebody know why this happens and what I can do to fix it? Or is this just something I have to live with?

Thanks

Rich

gothamtcb23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 09:44 AM   #2
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothamtcb23 View Post
Hey Guys or Gals

So I have a 2005 Wrangler Unlimited. It's got about 90,000 miles on it and it seems to run fine. The only thing is, my check engine light goes on a lot. Every time I run it through the computer, it comes up that the O2 Sensors need to be changed. But I have changed them at least 4 times in the past two years. So I'll change them, and then a few months later, the engine light is on again. It's frustrating and its slowly draining my wallet. Does somebody know why this happens and what I can do to fix it? Or is this just something I have to live with?

Thanks

Rich
What specific OBD2 codes does the computer throw? Get them read for free at almost any parts store. If the codes indicate that the O2 sensor are out of range that could mean that they are working but your air fuel mix is off.
A really clogged air filter could do that. So could bad spark plugs.

Any type of air leak before the O2 sensor will set off the CEL and make the engine run rich because of a false lean condition.

Since you have pre and post cat converter O2 sensors they compare what goes into the cat and what comes out.

If the comparison does not show that the cat converters(s) did their job that may be the problem. The O2 sensor(s) are just the messenger(s). Don't kill ( or replace) the messenger!

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 11:41 AM   #3
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Get codes:

Key On, Key Off, Key On, Key Off, Key On then Stop! Do not go to start at any time. Codes will be displayed on the ODO.

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 12:02 PM   #4
gothamtcb23
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernBchJeep View Post
Get codes:

Key On, Key Off, Key On, Key Off, Key On then Stop! Do not go to start at any time. Codes will be displayed on the ODO.
Thanks for this trick. It came out P2098.
This means Downstream Fuel Trim System 2 Lean right?
Unread 04-03-2013, 12:03 PM   #5
gothamtcb23
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman View Post
What specific OBD2 codes does the computer throw? Get them read for free at almost any parts store. If the codes indicate that the O2 sensor are out of range that could mean that they are working but your air fuel mix is off.
A really clogged air filter could do that. So could bad spark plugs.

Any type of air leak before the O2 sensor will set off the CEL and make the engine run rich because of a false lean condition.

Since you have pre and post cat converter O2 sensors they compare what goes into the cat and what comes out.

If the comparison does not show that the cat converters(s) did their job that may be the problem. The O2 sensor(s) are just the messenger(s). Don't kill ( or replace) the messenger!
The specific codes that came up after the Key Trick were "P2098" That's Downstream Fuel Trim System 2 Lean

What do you suggest I do now?
Unread 04-03-2013, 01:38 PM   #6
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Same situation here;

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/c...o-rich-564411/

There is some indication that this could be a software problem. Especially when the dealer does the "you have bad gas" 'two step' BS excuse.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.