05 Wrangler 2.4l 4 cyl starved of oil and now ticking quite badly - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 05 Wrangler 2.4l 4 cyl starved of oil and now ticking quite badly

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-21-2012, 06:26 AM   #1
ajdinger

05 Wrangler 2.4l 4 cyl starved of oil and now ticking quite badly

I bought this thing this past July. Had about 50k miles. I made the colossal mistake of assuming the used car lot changed the oil before handing it to me. Shortly after buying it, I left town and returned only days ago. My wife has been driving it, she put about 6k miles on it. Just yesterday, on her way home, the engine began to tick very badly. When she got home, I checked the oil to find nothing on the dipstick. There is no oil on my driveway and the exhaust does not indicate that oil is being burned, so I assume we got it from the dealer this way. I added 3 quarts of oil immediately but the ticking persists (I was hoping for a miracle). I'm not fluent in engine design, but understand basics - I am assuming a valve train issue - anyone have any ideas?

ajdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2012, 09:29 AM   #2
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

6 thousand miles and you didnt check the oil once? 3K is the suggested oil change interval. Your lack of maintenance caused this and nothing else. This is why its called preventitive maintenance. To prevent expensive repairs.

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2012, 08:19 PM   #3
ajdinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbruzan
6 thousand miles and you didnt check the oil once? 3K is the suggested oil change interval. Your lack of maintenance caused this and nothing else. This is why its called preventitive maintenance. To prevent expensive repairs.
No **** dad, thanks for the wisdom.
Unread 09-21-2012, 10:35 PM   #4
SeaspanKing

Does it sort of sound like a diesel now ?
SeaspanKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2012, 05:49 AM   #5
ajdinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaspanKing
Does it sort of sound like a diesel now ?
I wouldn't say that. I would say it sounds as it always did with the addition of a very noticeable tick. Interestingly, I stuck my head under the engine while running and it sounded louder on the bottom side of the engine.
Unread 09-22-2012, 10:27 AM   #6
SeaspanKing

Ok here are my thoughts , I would get a mechanics stethoscope or a part of a broom stick and try and locate the location of the ticking.

Oh ya how is your oil pressure now does it get lower than it was before the ticking started?

If you can determine that the ticking is in the bottom of your engine my guess is that when it got starved of oil the crankshaft bearings were damaged and the ticking your hearing is the new slop between the crankshaft , the piston rods and the main bearings.

Once your fairly sure it is the bottom end of the engine drop the oil pan and pull off a piston rod cap to look at the bearing . They should be perfectly smooth , not scored. Also look at the crankshaft it also must be smooth.

I too went to work for four months and came home to the wife saying her jeep is making a ticking noise. Today I am going to start putting the engine back in after pulling it and having ten thousands taken off the mains and twenty thousands taken off the rod journals.

My problem was dirty oil not a lack of oil.

Good luck
Unread 09-22-2012, 10:29 AM   #7
pshivers
2008 KK Liberty 

You could have ground up a crank shaft bearing. Check for metal shavings when you change your oil.
pshivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2012, 07:32 PM   #8
ajdinger

How difficult / expensive is it to repair / replace a crankshaft bearing? Also, I'm not understanding how to use a broom stick to locate the sound... For that matter, I'm not sure what a mechanics stethoscope is.
Unread 09-22-2012, 07:44 PM   #9
ajdinger

Quote:
Ok here are my thoughts , I would get a mechanics stethoscope or a part of a broom stick and try and locate the location of the ticking.

Oh ya how is your oil pressure now does it get lower than it was before the ticking started?

If you can determine that the ticking is in the bottom of your engine my guess is that when it got starved of oil the crankshaft bearings were damaged and the ticking your hearing is the new slop between the crankshaft , the piston rods and the main bearings.

Once your fairly sure it is the bottom end of the engine drop the oil pan and pull off a piston rod cap to look at the bearing . They should be perfectly smooth , not scored. Also look at the crankshaft it also must be smooth.

I too went to work for four months and came home to the wife saying her jeep is making a ticking noise. Today I am going to start putting the engine back in after pulling it and having ten thousands taken off the mains and twenty thousands taken off the rod journals.

Good luck
My oil pressure gauge indicates normal pressure. How will slop between the crankshaft and the piston rods effect the drivability short term and long term? Will pulling the piston caps require any specialty tools? Out of curiosity, can you define "mains" and "rod journals"?
Unread 09-22-2012, 07:51 PM   #10
ajdinger

Quote:

Good luck
My oil pressure gauge indicates normal pressure, same as before the ticking. How will slop between the crankshaft and the piston rods / bearings effect the drivability short and long term? Will removing the piston rod caps require any specialty tools? Out of curiosity, can you define "mains" and "rod journals"?
Unread 09-22-2012, 07:54 PM   #11
ajdinger

Sorry about any double posts, my tablet is going a bit haywire.
Unread 09-22-2012, 08:59 PM   #12
SeaspanKing

Mains are the bearings that hold the crankshaft in the engine. Rod journals connect the pistons to the crank . There will be 5 main journals and 4 rod journals. Each journal will have a set of bearings, each bearing will have 2 halves. The bearings are extremely close tolerances. The oil is pumped through the crankshaft and forced between the crankshaft and bearings keeping things lubricated and cool. No oil means the bearings heat up to the point of melting.

Depending on the damage you may experience a loss of oil pressure when the oil gets hot. A loss of power and fuel mileage may also occurs. My mileage went down to 11 mpg .

I discovered my problem After I pulled two rod caps and looked at the bearings and crankshaft I knew I had a problem but couldn't fix it till now. So I put it back together and put some Lucas oil in with the motor oil. I then drove it for about a year till get the time to do the rebuild.

As far as tools needed just regular hand tools will work. Drain the oil checking for metal shaving. Unbolt the oil pan and check again for metal shavings. Looking up from below the engine you will see where the piston rods connect to the crankshaft. Undo the 2 bolts holding the rod to the crankshaft and have look at the bearing and crankshaft.

Do you have a Haynes manual for your jeep?

Good luck
Unread 09-22-2012, 09:16 PM   #13
SeaspanKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdinger
How difficult / expensive is it to repair / replace a crankshaft bearing? Also, I'm not understanding how to use a broom stick to locate the sound... For that matter, I'm not sure what a mechanics stethoscope is.
The rod bearings can be replaced in the engine. Main bearings you need to pull the crankshaft out of the engine, which means pulling the motor. A mechanics stethoscope is just like a doctors but has a long probe on it to help locate strange noises. The broom handle works in much the same way you put one end against the motor and the other against your ear.
Unread 09-22-2012, 10:37 PM   #14
ajdinger

Quote:

The rod bearings can be replaced in the engine. Main bearings you need to pull the crankshaft out of the engine, which means pulling the motor. A mechanics stethoscope is just like a doctors but has a long probe on it to help locate strange noises. The broom handle works in much the same way you put one end against the motor and the other against your ear.
Thanks for the advice. I'll check the rod bearing and post the results. Could anything I've posted thus far point to a lifter / valve issue?
Unread 09-23-2012, 06:44 AM   #15
SeaspanKing

If the ticking is down low then my guess would be the crankshaft. It is the lowest point of the engine.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.