'05 5.7L Chugging Sound - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > '05 5.7L Chugging Sound

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 03-09-2009, 05:13 PM   #1
xa310165
2005 WK 

'05 5.7L Chugging Sound

I recently bought a 2005 GC 5.7L with 30K miles on it and have been noticing a chugging sound of compression that is especially loud from one of the cylinders when in drive. Any ideas of what might be going on?

xa310165 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2009, 12:33 PM   #2
440_Magnum
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xa310165 View Post
I recently bought a 2005 GC 5.7L with 30K miles on it and have been noticing a chugging sound of compression that is especially loud from one of the cylinders when in drive. Any ideas of what might be going on?
That's not descriptive enough. Sound under the hood? At the exhaust? Inside the cabin? Does the engine shake like its actually misfiring?
440_Magnum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2009, 07:03 PM   #3
xa310165
2005 WK 

I hear it when driving and can hear the echo bouncing off of a jersey wall, shrubs, etc so I'm not 100% on where it is coming from since I can't drive and look under the hood at the same time haha. I also only hear it when the windows are down and don't hear anything when the windows are up/in the cabin. There is a little shaking from the engine, but I take that as being normal in any of the cars I have been in lately and not an indication of a misfiring cylinder. I only hear it when driving and can't be much more descriptive than the aforementioned details.
Unread 03-11-2009, 08:52 AM   #4
440_Magnum
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xa310165 View Post
I hear it when driving and can hear the echo bouncing off of a jersey wall, shrubs, etc so I'm not 100% on where it is coming from since I can't drive and look under the hood at the same time haha. I also only hear it when the windows are down and don't hear anything when the windows are up/in the cabin. There is a little shaking from the engine, but I take that as being normal in any of the cars I have been in lately and not an indication of a misfiring cylinder. I only hear it when driving and can't be much more descriptive than the aforementioned details.
Well, a certain amount of "chug" or burble is normal for a v8 versus a v6, inline six, or 4-cylinder. If you're not used to a v8 that might be what you're hearing. Its just a function of the firing order, and its why v8s sound so much nicer than sixes or fours do. But you shouldn't feel any vibration from a 5.7- it should be pretty much smooth as glass. Any error codes (misfire, etc.) set?
440_Magnum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2009, 06:15 PM   #5
xa310165
2005 WK 

There hasn't been any warming that have come up and I haven't taken it to a shop. Is there a way to check the codes on my own?
Thanks for the help thus far!
Unread 03-11-2009, 07:55 PM   #6
armedsks
2009 JK Wrangler 

my ford 250 sounded like that when i had a couple of busted exhaust manifold studs (rotttted) off. real loud when i drove by jersy walls etc on the passenger side.

check to make sure there not loose or rotted. My for studs busted at 30k miles. Had to have the manifold replaced as it was warped.
armedsks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.