04 Rubicon - Cricket sound in 4 wheel only - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 04 Rubicon - Cricket sound in 4 wheel only

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsJK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!

Unread 03-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #1
swans13
2004 TJ Wrangler 

04 Rubicon - Cricket sound in 4 wheel only

When I shift into 4 wheel high, I get a cricket noise that directly increases as the RPMs (or Speed) increase. It only occurs in 4 high. It is easily reproducible. When I drop it out of 4 wheel it stops after a couple seconds. I have mainly tested it in 4 high and not 4 low yet. I thought it might be front drive shaft or something since it only occurs in 4 wheel and increases with the engine/wheel RPMs. I have to test if it occurs when in neutral but I don't believe it does.

Any ideas?

swans13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 08:41 AM   #2
Live4Jeeps
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I would remove the front shaft, lube it up with some wd-40 and clean the area around the u-joint as much as possible. Anytime my truck squeaks I just clean it up and its good to go! Good luck man! If that doesn't work just throw in a new u-joint if you can tell which one it is
Live4Jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 02:53 PM   #3
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live4Jeeps
I would remove the front shaft, lube it up with some wd-40 and clean the area around the u-joint as much as possible. Anytime my truck squeaks I just clean it up and its good to go! Good luck man! If that doesn't work just throw in a new u-joint if you can tell which one it is
The front DS had a grease fitting for you to grease it properly. Keep ujoint caps in order if you remove DS. Grease ujoints if they are serviceable. Check for joint play, should be zero.
seattle_yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 07:28 PM   #4
Hickman85

Sometimes you can't get any play or movement in the u joints. They could possibly just need greased. Replacing the u joints in a drive shaft is cheap and easy insurance. I have also had the same noise occur in axle joints.
Hickman85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

While focus on the front driveshaft is likely correct, a cricket noise is usually the centering ball in the CV joint not ujoints, although it is a good idea to replace all when rebuilding.
Unread 03-14-2013, 08:37 PM   #6
Live4Jeeps
2001 TJ Wrangler 

When my Jeep was squeaking, and I mean SQUEAKING!, I thought it was that CV joint as well so I removed the DS to get to it and found a ton of gunk sitting in the double cardan (I think that's what it's called) so I cleaned it out, used the almighty WD-40 and it hasn't made a peep since.
Live4Jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 08:38 PM   #7
swans13
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the input. I think you guys are right and I am looking to replace the CV (including the Centering ball) and UJoints before the Off road season opens up out here in CO. I will post the results one complete. Thanks again for all the input!
swans13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 08:25 AM   #8
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swans13 View Post
Thanks for all the input. I think you guys are right and I am looking to replace the CV (including the Centering ball) and UJoints before the Off road season opens up out here in CO.
If you have angry sparrows don't delay in fixing it or at least the pull the front driveshaft and drive on just the rear. When a centering ball seizes up, driveshafts break, TCs get cracked, etc. Unfortunately not an uncommon event (a search will turn up many threads) and not something you want to have happen.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.