03 Liberty Oil Pan Removal Procedure - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 03 Liberty Oil Pan Removal Procedure

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-17-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
03NYLibSport
2003 KJ Liberty 

03 Liberty Oil Pan Removal Procedure

Hello all, this is my first posting...and thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide. I bought my 03 Liberty at an auction last year and it recently started leaking oil from the oil pan which has rusted out badly - layers of the metal are flaking off. The maintenance manual says to remove the engine in order to remove the oil pan. Is there a "less involved" procedure to remove/replace the oil pan without having to remove the engine?

If so, please share the procedure and advise of any precautions / safety steps I should use...thanks.

03NYLibSport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2012, 07:40 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

You either have to pull the engine or support it from above(via engine support bar or cherry picker) and drop the cradle with the front diff,rack&pinion,and front suspension.
Unread 04-17-2012, 10:20 PM   #3
chevyblazer5150
1995 ZJ 

Those are your choices. One of the MANY reasons I sold my liberty. Too bad jeep didn't make them better.
1995 Grand Cherokee Laredo, V8, 242 T-case swap, custom driveshafts, bumpers/rock sliders, X20 8000# winch, Rough country long arm kit w/5.5" rustys springs, full Detroit rear locker, HP D30/trutrack, 4:11 gears 32x11.5x15 Maxxis MT's
chevyblazer5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
03NYLibSport
2003 KJ Liberty 

Oil pan replacement

Hello TKY and Chevy,

Thanks for the feedback...I figured there had to be another way other than removing the engine although I was hoping that the alternative wouldn't be this involved. Looks like I have my work cut-out for me...thanks again for the info.
03NYLibSport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2012, 07:11 PM   #5
mrowaan
1999 WJ 

It can be changed in the jeep.If you pull the diff you don't have to pull the engine.

Tags
2003 , liberty , oil pan , removal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.