02 grand cherokee stalling out, now won't start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 02 grand cherokee stalling out, now won't start

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 10-08-2012, 10:07 AM   #1
02jeepgr

02 grand cherokee stalling out, now won't start

Hello, I have a 02 Grand cherokee with 4.7, that started stalling out on me a couple of weeks ago. It would die and if given enough time, it would restart and run for awhile longer. It shows a code of p0725, engine speed circut malfunction. After some investigation i read that it could be, the crank sensor, or the speed sensors on the trans. So i change all of them. But still no change. change crank sensor twice, due to if it was installed without a paper spacer on the end it would mess it up. So i went to the dealership and got another and a paper spacer. still no change. I also read that it could be camshaft sensor, so i changed it too. Still no change. After driving a couple of short trips, after all these changes, the code would never clear. And now it has died and won't restart. Does anyone have an idea as to what i need to try next. I was told it could be the TCM, they are pretty expensive to just change not knowing for sure. Is there a way to tell for sure if it is bad. And where is the best place to get one if bad. I have visually checked wiring for bad places but could not find any problems. Need diagram so i can get my tester and check closer, does anyone know a site that would have one i can print out. Thanks in advance for any help anyone might be able to give.

02jeepgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2012, 04:04 PM   #2
pshivers
2008 KK Liberty 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/s...ailure-561977/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/code-p0725-1042519/
pshivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
02jeepgr

I read your response and am starting to believe it is the TCM, does anyone have any recommendations as to where to get one. I seen a couple of places online where they have rebuilt ones for around $200. With the same waranty as a new one. I also read on line that the camshaft sensor had to be timed when replaced. Is this true, and if so how do you do this. Because what ever problem i have has gotten worse or i have messed something else up, because it won't hit a lick now. Won't even attempt to fire.
Unread 11-01-2012, 09:50 AM   #4
02jeepgr

sorry for taking so long to get back on here and post the status of my problem, but i was making sure it didn't come back. As of now it appears i found my problem. After attempting to start it once more the battery failed to turn it over, so i assumed i had run the battery down trying to start it. So i hooked up my charger and it showed the battery was still at 100%. so i checked all my connections and they were good. So i tried again to start it, and it turned over fine, but would not start. So i took the battery off another car i have and installed it in the jeep, the code was gone the check engine was gone and i have not had any problem since. I have driven over 200 miles now without any sign of it coming back. So again i assume the battery had a short in the ground post of the battery giving me a circuit malfunction. So maybe this will help some else with the same issues in the future. Thanks for everyone's help.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.