'02 Grand Cherokee no start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > '02 Grand Cherokee no start

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 10-25-2012, 11:07 AM   #1
jvegh

'02 Grand Cherokee no start

I have a 2002 Grand Cherokee with a 4.7, the timing chains went and it bent the valves on the left side so I disassembled it and bought a set of heads from a 2006 Jeep. I reassembled it and installed new timing chains insuring all the marks were dead on, I then turned the engine over by hand to make sure nothing would hit internally. I put it all back together and I can't get it to start. It tries to start from time to time but nothing. I've replaced the cam sensor, crank sensor and the computer and it still won't start. Any suggestions? Could the '06 heads be different? (aside from the EGR mounting plate). I've also had it at the dealer to flash the computer and they also checked the timing marks and they are just as baffled as me and I have 29 years experience as a mechanic and have never been stumped like this.

jvegh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2012, 06:24 AM   #2
jvegh

I found the problem on my own last night, I removed the passenger side valve cover and compared the new cam gear to the one that originally came off and I found the part of the gear that triggers the cam sensor was different so I removed it and put the old one on and it started right up. Let this serve as a lesson not to by cheap replacement parts from ebay
jvegh is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.