What's your Jeep's Top Speed?!!?? - Page 72 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Street Jeep Forum > What's your Jeep's Top Speed?!!??

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREERuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 05-30-2013, 09:23 PM   #1066
JKPaul
2012 JK Wrangler 

I think I saw around 200mph, right after coming out of the woods and going over the 1000' cliff.......just as I hit the ground I felt my a$$ going thru my skull.... then I woke up!!

JKPaul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2013, 06:13 PM   #1067
nfdff805
Proud TJ Owner

2004 TJ Wrangler 

As of yesterday My top speed is almost 73 in 5th gear, flat grade... Normally I just drive on the interstate at about 65 @2350 RPM's.

()_)-()_)-o-)_)
nfdff805 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 10:49 PM   #1068
rgreen

my wife "had to pass a car" @ 135 mph in my 98 zj 5.9 limited
rgreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 09:22 AM   #1069
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Little Programming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgreen View Post
my wife "had to pass a car" @ 135 mph in my 98 zj 5.9 limited
Little Programming? Mine stock had a 115 mph governor. I crested a Mtn while passing and it went from 3, to 2 lanes thru a bend. I didn't know about the Gov, and almost lost my bowels when the tach dropped. I thought I blew the engine and was gonna lose steering & brakes any second! RPMs came back @ 105, IIRC.
My buddy had one too. He owns a trucking company and the Freightliner rep was showing him how to map the diesel for load # and terrain w/a laptop. Now this was 1999 Even Laptops were barely heard of then. He plugged into our Jeeps, got rid of the tops speed gov, changed shift points, A/F etc. At the time, the 318 was rated @ 225 hp & the 360 was 245. When he was done it had to be around 325+. We would light the fronts on hot sticky days! Left front a lot longer than the passenger of course. And since we had our deposits down as soon as they announced they were in production, we had the 1st 2 in our county....cat backs, CAIs etc...weren't around yet. Totally stock, and they were animals. I admit I got choked up when the family needed a 3rd row seat and I sold it. For that, I'm not ashamed!
So rgreen, I TOTALLY believe you when you say 135 mph. Many a person I gave a ride to always said afterward, in sheer amazement, "I CANNOT believe the is a JEEP!".
Unread 06-13-2013, 07:52 PM   #1070
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch1200 View Post
Little Programming? Mine stock had a 115 mph governor. I crested a Mtn while passing and it went from 3, to 2 lanes thru a bend. I didn't know about the Gov, and almost lost my bowels when the tach dropped. I thought I blew the engine and was gonna lose steering & brakes any second! RPMs came back @ 105, IIRC.
My buddy had one too. He owns a trucking company and the Freightliner rep was showing him how to map the diesel for load # and terrain w/a laptop. Now this was 1999 Even Laptops were barely heard of then. He plugged into our Jeeps, got rid of the tops speed gov, changed shift points, A/F etc. At the time, the 318 was rated @ 225 hp & the 360 was 245. When he was done it had to be around 325+. We would light the fronts on hot sticky days! Left front a lot longer than the passenger of course. And since we had our deposits down as soon as they announced they were in production, we had the 1st 2 in our county....cat backs, CAIs etc...weren't around yet. Totally stock, and they were animals. I admit I got choked up when the family needed a 3rd row seat and I sold it. For that, I'm not ashamed!
So rgreen, I TOTALLY believe you when you say 135 mph. Many a person I gave a ride to always said afterward, in sheer amazement, "I CANNOT believe the is a JEEP!".
You're also probably full of ****, as the tunability for these PCMs was utter crap (out of vehicle reflash only) until a few years ago, and was almost non-existent in 1999. Plus, no stock 5.9 will make 300+ hp with a tune alone. Heads and cam, sure. But not a chance in hell with just a tune.
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 09:39 PM   #1071
WeezyBlue
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Merging onto the highway the other day in my '05 I decided to open it up, hit a governor pretty hard at what I would guess was about 95. I wasn't watching the speedo but recall seeing it swing past 90. The wind resistance at that speed in a TJ is crazy, it was like slamming on the brakes. Fuel was only cut for a couple seconds but I was down to under 80 before I got power back.

I have to say, with the 6 speed, 4.10s and little 32" AT's it got there in a hurry
WeezyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 07:38 AM   #1072
9859limited
1998 ZJ 

Quote:

Tach drop? Fuel cut out? I've bounced my niner off the rev limiter at 5500 rpm with out either.
9859limited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 08:33 PM   #1073
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9859limited View Post
Tach drop? Fuel cut out? I've bounced my niner off the rev limiter at 5500 rpm with out either.
The stock rev limiter and speed limiter are both fuel cut. He's referring to the speed limiter kicking in, although I don't know why the tach would drop more than a couple hundred rpm when it hit.
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2013, 08:52 PM   #1074
rgreen

Quote:
well it took some mods to get her there in the 1/4 mile 13.74 @ 101.3---210X cam, EQ 2.02 heads, hughes air gap intake, 24# FMS inj., 52mm TB, davis unified ignition coil/wires/cap and rotor, ngk plugs @.060 gap, SCT tuned (hemifever.com), '93 exhaust manifolds+ 3" y-pipe back, and some other do-dads!
rgreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 09:26 AM   #1075
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Dang! Doo Doo on me. Sorry I wandered in here. I was not calling anybody out. Just affirming that these were animals to be unleashed. Do I know what the Freight-Shakers guy did, heck NO. That was still the cam/headers/intake days. Laptop speed seemed like VOO-DOO. Yes, it took awhile, yes, he was under the hood awhile on each. I didn't know my '79, 304 had any kind of "computer" 'til years after I had it.
When I hit the top end Gov, it dropped to IDLE, til around the ton! Never hit a rev limiter etc.
Sorry to post here and be called a liar. I go F my self in the corner. My point was affirming rgreens point that he could do 135. Guess I should have looked at his profile. Still didn't.
Unread 06-19-2013, 10:12 AM   #1076
JKPaul
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Dang! Doo Doo on me. Sorry I wandered in here. I was not calling anybody out. Just affirming that these were animals to be unleashed. Do I know what the Freight-Shakers guy did, heck NO. That was still the cam/headers/intake days. Laptop speed seemed like VOO-DOO. Yes, it took awhile, yes, he was under the hood awhile on each. I didn't know my '79, 304 had any kind of "computer" 'til years after I had it.
When I hit the top end Gov, it dropped to IDLE, til around the ton! Never hit a rev limiter etc.
Sorry to post here and be called a liar. I go F my self in the corner. My point was affirming rgreens point that he could do 135. Guess I should have looked at his profile. Still didn't.
Something you should know about posting here that was pointed out to me some time back, "If a$$holes could fly, this forum would be an airport!"

"Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.......'!
JKPaul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 03:40 PM   #1077
AFRd_CJ5
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgreen View Post
well it took some mods to get her there in the 1/4 mile 13.74 @ 101.3---210X cam, EQ 2.02 heads, hughes air gap intake, 24# FMS inj., 52mm TB, davis unified ignition coil/wires/cap and rotor, ngk plugs @.060 gap, SCT tuned (hemifever.com), '93 exhaust manifolds+ 3" y-pipe back, and some other do-dads!
Friend of mine put a little nitrous to his back when I had my 2000 Lightning. I believe he was running right around the same times (13.7'ish) with that and very minimal mods.
Always like those Jeeps!
Dana 30 front with 4.56's/Dana 44 rear with 4.88's
AFRd_CJ5 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 09:18 AM   #1078
GTNMUDY
1984 CJ7 

Back in 1995, 124 mph (gps told me). I was chasing a BMW down the interstate just for fun. The snob pissed me off so I let him know what a 84, CJ7 grill looks like in his rear view mirror. I know he saw it cause he was looking at it allot

I had just swapped out the 258 for a built 355 SBC, 33", 2.5" lift.

That was a fun day

Larry
GTNMUDY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2013, 08:35 AM   #1079
PschochWJ
1999 WJ 

115 in a stock wj
PschochWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2013, 11:23 AM   #1080
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKPaul View Post
I think I saw around 200mph, right after coming out of the woods and going over the 1000' cliff.......just as I hit the ground I felt my a$$ going thru my skull.... then I woke up!!
No you would not even come close to 200mph. If you do the math. A Jeep will go MUCH faster on the ground then falling from a 1k foot cliff or even from a plane at 10k. A human in a tuck, head down can reach about 2ooMPH+- in normal atmospheric conditions. Jeep has much more buoyancy.

Though your last part about the A$$ skull thing may well happen.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.