What's your Jeep's Top Speed?!!?? - Page 56 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Street Jeep Forum > What's your Jeep's Top Speed?!!??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJK Vent Covers - NalinMFGRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 01-30-2012, 05:45 PM   #826
Lee3333
1989 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f180/...99/index4.html

Here is my thread, which pretty much says it all. Basically it is a SBC with Edelbrock top end kit with Vortec heads, roller Performer RPM cam, MSD 6ALN ignition. TH350 full race trans with reverse fully manual valve body and trans brake, Ford 9 inch rear with 3.90 Richmond gears and Truetrac dif. Right now the car launches great-no wheel hop or anything squirrelly, but I have too much slick for the engine so there is little if no wheel spin. Once I get some more power, we shall see. Front end is a straight axle with 4 inch drop on factory leaf springs and custom shock mount with CompEngineering adjustable drag shocks. Rear has CompEngineering drag shocks, factory leafs with 2 removed, and custom lengthened traction bars.
The biggest blast for street driving is the electric cut-outs. Lots of fun!!!

Lee3333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2012, 04:25 AM   #827
AFRd_CJ5
1976 CJ5 

Looks good! Nice clean engine bay too. I'd love to lower mine, but I wouldn't be able to run my paddles for the dunes. That and lose all the weight from the 4WD stuff!
Nice to see some other Jeeps here that get used for straight line performance!
Dana 30 front with 4.56's/Dana 44 rear with 4.88's
AFRd_CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2012, 08:07 AM   #828
Lee3333
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks-and equally glad to see your creation. I love your front bumper.

To be honest, my reason for using a Jeep as my platform was purely functional. I have always been into cars, mostly sports cars. While I frequently took my cars to the dragstrip, I liked going around turns fast and regularly competed in autocrosses, rally's, a time trial at Bridgehamton Speedway (and planning more of them), etc. But then, I got hit by a drunk driver in 1987 and lost my right leg, so I could not drive a stick anymore. I figured drag racing would be next, since automatics are the way to go. I still had my 1977 Datsun 280Z and was planning on putting a small block in it all along (I already had a full racing suspension, fiberglass body parts, etc.) But then after I got married and had 2 children, a 2 seater was not very practical. Plus, the garage the Datsun was in got flooded and the car had a rodent problem, so I was not anxious about bringing a rat or mouse infected car into my house so I sold it.

Needless to say, my wife was not thrilled with me building a car (time, money, etc) so I kept to small modifications on my daily driver (Chevy HHR) even winning several car shows with it. But then a friend of mine took my son (then 11 years old) for a ride in his 1970 Pro Street Roadrunner. He asked me if I could build a car like that and I smiled. Then, amazingly, my wife said she thought it would be a good father/son project and gave me the green light. I began spreading the word that I was looking for a Nova or Chevelle or something. Trouble is, even with my creative mind, I knew that it would be impossible to build something unique. I had a few requirements. I needed something with a short wheelbase to fit behind my other car in my driveway, it had to seat 4, be easy to get parts for, and easy to work on. Since I wanted things simple and basic, I did not want air conditioning so a convertible would be nice. Then, one day at a car show, I saw a lifted Jeep CJ pull in with a SBC inside. Instantly I began visualizing it set up as a Pro Street Jeep. And the snowball began to roll.

When we finished the initial build, it weighed 2906 equally balanced on all 4 corners. Now, with the aluminum heads and water pump, plus about 30 pounds of weight saved when I rewired the car again, it should be about 2800 pounds, biased to the rear. While I saved a lot of weight removing the skid plates, transfer case, etc I gained some with the full roll cage. The fiberglass hood was about the same as the metal one. Plus, since I drive it on the street and bring it to car shows, I wanted secure boxes to lock everything in so I added Tuffy glove, console, and 2 side boxes.

And that's my story. It is very different and really stands out at shows or driving on the street. It should be in the 11's now, and with the higher compression stroked shortblock going in this spring, may even dip into the high 10's.

What headers do you have-Advanced? Any photos of engine, interior, etc. The clean engine compartment is thanks to my good friend Bobby, owner of Gardner Specialty Auto. I originally built my Jeep at a friends body shop, where he rented me a lift and the use of his mechanics to help me when I needed it. Then, I took it to Bobby for the fabrication and race technology. Bobby understands my need to do as much work myself, and has taught me some of his remarkable skills. When I wired the engine, I thought it was done pretty neat. But then he redid some, and supervised me doing the rest, and I am very happy with the results. Bobby is pure genius, and very innovative with his ideas, and working with him has been a real educational experience.
Unread 01-31-2012, 06:19 PM   #829
AFRd_CJ5
1976 CJ5 

Sounds kinda like how mine came about. I've had plenty of street cars, as did my dad when he was younger. My dad got his first Jeep about 25 years ago (when I was very little), and he's had it since. That started life as a 355 SBC, then eventually evolved into an 18* headed 434 SBC (we are actually changing to some CFE 15* heads this year though). He got me into Jeeps about 7 years ago, and this is where mine is at now. My passion for straight line performance is what made it what it is today.
Couple engine bay pictures...

Dad and I have both had custom headers built. Nobody made a spread port pattern large tube header for a Jeep, and even less made an 18* large tube header, so we had no choice.
Interior is basic Jeep. Just gauges and the typical Jeep seats.

Console is different now though. We made a custom "pan" that extends below the body and is covered up by the console. That's sole purpose is to hide this...

Easy access, and when the lid is closed, you don't know. Purge line is ran down behind the trans, and you don't hear it when you're lining up with 5 other loud vehicles at the dunes.

It gets beat regularly in the sand and on the street, so it's definitely got a lot of battle scars, and it's hard to keep the engine bay clean when you're at the sand drags a lot.
Unread 01-31-2012, 08:04 PM   #830
Lee3333
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Looks really nice. Why is the battery still up front? I know what you mean about the headers. The ones I have, Advanced, are smaller diameter than I like and they are not even tuned. But they were cheap and an easy solution.

I wish they had sand drags, mud racing, etc up here. Truth is, believe it or not, there are not even and drag strips in the NYC area anymore. Used to be 3 or 4 in Long Island, less than an hour away. But they all closed, and now I have to go to New Jersey-long trip and tolls so expensive to go there.

Do you use your Jeep on the street a lot? I beg you to consider electric cut-outs. The ones I used, Race Ready Performance, can be run open, closed, or anywhere inbetween. I have such a blast-when I see people checking out my car, I pop them open and watch their eyes bug out!!!
Unread 02-01-2012, 06:43 AM   #831
AFRd_CJ5
1976 CJ5 

The battery is still there because with mine being a CJ5, I have the seat moved back as far as I can so the kids have the most possible room. Just one of those things where I haven't put much time/effort into trying to relocate it. I can't keep the front end down as it is anyway, so I've never really been that concerned about putting more weight at the rear.
Yea, we had 1 sand drag track close up within the last 3 years (most relaxing/most fun track too), and 1 other is moving (hopefully), with even another on the verge of closing. But, sounds like I'm in better shape than you. At least I have a couple sand drag tracks and 2 asphalt tracks all within 2 hours from me. Sucks when you have to travel a long ways to have some fun.
Unread 02-03-2012, 08:24 PM   #832
Lee3333
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I really like the flat dash. Looks great and much easier to work on. When I was rewiring my car (for the second time at the command and supervision of my good friend and the owner of the race shop Bobby), I pulled the whole dash off. Then I saw how easy it would have been for me just to make a simple flat dash and put holes for the gauges and switches. But I had already bought the 2 aftermarket pieces that hold the gauges and modified the rest of the dash, removing the factory heating controls, etc. Since I already had the time and money invested, I left it.

Plus, I spent a lot of time tracing and running wires to the factory idiot lights. Now I have them operating to show me when the emergency brake is on and when the line lock and transbrake are engaged.
Unread 02-19-2012, 07:31 AM   #833
nshefbuch
1982 CJ7 

In the first pic the jeep would do 100+mph with 33's and the axle gears were 2.73(stock)
Second pic the jeep with now full widths and 4.10's and on 37's the jeep will do 85 max.
image-1082377641.jpg   image-970784514.jpg  
Unread 02-19-2012, 08:19 PM   #834
Finallyajeep
2000 XJ Cherokee 

^ I would imagine 85 would be pretty exhilarating in that thing haha

FOR SALE PM me if interested!
C-rok outer steering box brace new, never installed. Also have an XJ trailer hitch for sale, needs some paint, but thats about it.
Finallyajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 03:16 AM   #835
nshefbuch
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finallyajeep
^ I would imagine 85 would be pretty exhilarating in that thing haha
It actually drives straight and you can let go of the wheel. I've spent a lot of time this past summer aligning everything with all new steering components and rebuilding the front axle completely so it can go that fast. 65mph though is where it drives the nicest.
Unread 02-21-2012, 04:22 PM   #836
SkylerVan
1998 XJ Cherokee 

115ish in my stock Cherokee. Speedo only goes to 100
SkylerVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 05:12 PM   #837
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I've gotten up to 110, which is terrifying and I never want to do it again.
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2012, 08:55 PM   #838
Finallyajeep
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phfister View Post
I've gotten up to 110, which is terrifying and I never want to do it again.
Lol I can imagine

FOR SALE PM me if interested!
C-rok outer steering box brace new, never installed. Also have an XJ trailer hitch for sale, needs some paint, but thats about it.
Finallyajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2012, 10:06 PM   #839
TrailPhotoGirl
2001 XJ Cherokee 

R u kidding! I feel like I am living on the edge going 80..... With the lift and big tires it seems a bit wobbly at high speeds.
TrailPhotoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2012, 05:38 AM   #840
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Most of us who've hit triple digits in a Jeep weren't lifted, I think.
comptiger5000 is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.